Foreigner's chance of U.S. PhD admission

oikodendron

Does anyone have any knowledge of foreigners being accepted to top-tier schools in the U.S.? With English as a second language, I know my verbal GRE score would be relatively low, although I assume my background would be taken into account. Worse, probably, is having my BA and MA from an obscure (for an American, that is) Norwegian academic institution. My letters of recommendation are pretty pale too, compared to those often written by U.S. professors. Scandinavian professors are traditionally not as involved with their students, and when "praising" somebody, it is a very modest and formal affair. Does anyone know of any cases where foreigners did get admitted, even with disadvantages like mine?

I have the impression foreigners sometimes have an easier time being admitted, since the mere fact that they are foreigners make them more interesting and helps to diversify the student body. And I think it often goes in their favor that it is hard to measure and compare their achievements to U.S. students. But this is just a feeling I have. I have little knowledge of top-tier schools, though.