research outside of department

Guest fitz

I have a quick question and would appreicate any information. Here goes, I am getting my M.A before my Ph.d in Political Science for a variety of personal reasons. I am currently a research assistant but it is outside of my department and am wondering if it will help at all.

I currently work on an NIH grant through the psych deparment and my PI said she would write me a glowing letter and try to gear it towards my future political science study such as commenting on my dedication, attention to research detail, data analysis, data collection etc.

I am wondering if this will help as I hope it will. Has anyone ahd any experience with a situation or know how my future Ph.D admissions committee may view it? I am just wondering if I should use the PI`s letter of rec along with 2 profs I know well or try for a third letter directly from a poli sci professor.

Thanks and i apologgize for my spelling and grammar, I am typing this while trying to not let my boss see

Guest L again

I'm in political science, and I would say that you will want to have political science professors as recommenders if you have them. It can't hurt to play up any parts of the research experience that overlaps...quantitative methods, data management, field research, or whatever other things you may have gotten out of it that relates to methods you would use for your poli sci research ideas. These are both social sciences, so there should be plenty of overlap, especially if you have an interest in political psychology. Good luck.

• 8 months later...

Some universities allow you to submit four references. If that is possible, I would take three polsci academics and your psychology person. Otherwise, well, I guess it is worth the risk if you don't have other good referees. As long as they are academics with PhDs, and they can talk about your intelligence and dedication to your work and draw a link to polsci, you should be fine.

I applied after an MA in European Studies for an IR/PT PhD and had references from a PT lecturer, Chinese Pol Prof, and 2 EU Lecturers (all from the UK and not well-known in the US). One of them knew me very well, and thus could talk about my personality, character and dedication, while the others focussed on my academic work. The mixture worked out well for me.

Hope my experience helped you decide what to do.