MA at UT Austin? Yay or nay?

Books&Caffine

Could anyone comment on the Masters program at UT Austin?  How well does this program prepare you for further graduate work at the PhD level?  I'm worried that although it's a great school, it will be easy to get "lost in the shuffle" since it's a bit larger then most programs?

Thanks!

I am weighing the same questions.  I think it is like any program though, you get out of it what you put in.  So, if you don't network with the professors or students, then you probably will get lost in the shuffle.  My concerns is funding, I can maybe, MAYBE, justify taking out more loans for tuition, but not out of state levels, because it is a good program/stepping stone to a more prestigious PhD....although, that's a lot of maybes. 

I really would like to know more about UT Austin.... is it worth it compared to other MA programs? I'm not interested in becoming a professor. I rather do museum work. I'm just nervous about choosing schools! 

I have no personal experience with UT, but I have met several students at well-respected Art History PhD programs who did their MAs there and thought it prepared them well. From what I can tell it has a strong reputation. In the bigger programs, I think whether you get "lost in the shuffle" has a lot to do with you - whether you build relationships with professors, go above and beyond on coursework, etc. If you hold yourself to a high standard and do well, it can certainly be a stepping stone to a good PhD, though it's also obviously never a guarantee.

For someone like Kunst101, I think UT Austin is a worthwhile terminal MA program to consider. What kind of museum work do you see yourself doing, though? Just be aware that most curatorial roles require PhDs, and those with only MAs may end up doing more administrative stuff or fit into roles like exhibition/event planning, registrar work, assistants, etc. Those are competitive and often rewarding jobs, too, but just be aware and make sure you like that type of work.  

Edited by brown_eyed_girl

Yeah... I'm thinking museum educator.. community outreacH person. I'm debating about a phd..because I do love art history and researching and learning but I know that I don't necessarily need it for the jobs I want. UT def seems like it provides ample support. I wish their TAships didn't just go to their phd students.

If  you are considering going into museum work that doesn't require a PhD--like education, collections management, registration, curatorial assistant, etc.--then I think going for just the MA now is a good choice. You can always go back and get your PhD when you are done with your MA if you realize that you really want to be a curator and need a PhD (that's actually what I'm doing now after working for a couple years in museum jobs that don't require a PhD -- the bonus is that I think my experience working in museums helped me get into PhD programs that are a good fit for me.) A PhD is huge commitment and if  you aren't sure you're going to need it, it seems to me like it would be better to take it one step at a time. Especially because once you have your PhD you will actually be overqualified for many (although not all) museum educator jobs. 

It's a bummer that UT gives most of their TAships to PhD students, but you could try to take the time that you would have spent TAing and use it to intern or work at an area museum or art collection if possible. 

I was accepted into the MA program and recieved info about funding a few days after...however it wasn't much, just a super small stipend and in state tuition (not complaining thought...less cost is always good!)

I'm sure they'll revisit the funding awards once they start to hear about decisions, so there is probably still hope even if you haven't heard yet!