Question re: other schools applied to - when choices were limited?

flohimohr

Hi all,

This may be a slightly niche question but basically: in this round of applications I only applied to three schools (6 programs total) for personal reasons - wanting to stay close to my family and my partner, who moved to the area and started a PhD to be near to me.

I am worried about getting an admissions interview question about what other schools I applied to. I have a clear idea of my research goals and how each program would fit my plan, but on the surface the programs I applied to are pretty diverse (Master's and PhD, academic and applied).

I don't want to sound unfocused when I have to list the schools and the programs, but I also don't want to convey the impression that I am not serious about pursuing an academic career (or to make it sound like these schools are my second choice - they are truly top-notch institutions).

Have any of you been in a similar situation? Advice on answering?

I'm not sure if there's a 100% good way to answer this question because it's highly dependent on the listener. Some folks are very understanding and considerate when it comes to family. In fact, my current lab PI at my undergrad seems to prefer older students with familial obligations, but that is not necessarily true of everyone out there.

Is there any way you can emphasize other reasons why you might pick those schools? At the same time, do you want to land in a program that isn't understanding and supportive for 4+ years?

For what  it's worth, I have only had to answer a direct question about where I applied once out of six back-to-back interviews and the great majority of the other applicants had a lot less geographical diversity in the schools they picked. It is my impression that they navigated their interviews just fine. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

I was completely honest in my interviews.  I have several gaps and lots of jumping around on my resume, mainly because my husband is in the military and, well, we move around a lot.

When asked why I choice my programs, I told them all the same thing:  my husband can't move with me, so I wanted to be in cities that had direct flights back home/were within the radius he is allowed to travel on a 3 day weekend pass.

Tell them exactly what you told us: it shows commitment, not a lack of focus.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply, but thank you both for your insights! Really helpful.

In the end I didn't get the direct question, and when they alluded to where else I was applying I was able (as suggested) to emphasize why I liked that specific program rather than why I hadn't applied to so many others. I agree that ultimately, it's important to be in a supportive environment - thanks for reminding me of that :)