Decent GREs, Merely Average GPA...and a career change. Help?

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some opinions about my chances for admission and about some programs in particular for what I want to do (policy analysis). I am a bit worried about two things: letters of recommendation and GPA.

A bit about me:

GWU Class of 03 (Bachelor of Business Admin - Finance)

GPA: 3.22

GRE: 680 V / 780 Q

Applying for Fall 2010 admission to an MPP program

I've got six years of progressive experience at a top five financial services firm/investment bank, but I intend to return to school for my MPP and go into (eventually) finance policy analysis or program evaluation. I don't exactly have any non-profit experience and I hope to explain in my personal statements why I am making a change at this point in my career.

My GPA is definitely below the mean for the schools I am looking at (GSPP, GPPI, KSG, LSE, Wagner, SIPA). I understand that the admission committees say they look at things "holistically", but am I way out of my league here? On the positive side, I did do well in my quantitative classes in undergrad.

Because I've been out of school for so long, I really have no academic contacts anymore, so the recs make me nervous. I did take a grad level public policy course at GW this summer (which I loved, and in which I got an A), and I am hoping the prof will write me one. Would having only one academic reference disqualify me from these schools?

Also, for those who are more familiar with these schools, would you have any advice about which ones I might want to reconsider? I've heard SIPA is considered more for international studies and Wagner for non-profit/NGO type stuff, for instance. GSPP & GPPI seem to be more up my alley. However, I am pretty much going on what they have on their websites. I'd really like to get more anecdotal advice from you all (real live people!).

I appreciate any and all suggestions you may have. This board seems to be much more helpful than autoadmit... what a mistake I made wasting time there! :D

I think you should be a competitive candidate for most of the programs mentioned. Your GRE scores are certainly better than "decent" - they are excellent. If you provide a compelling statement of purpose, I suspect that you will receive serious consideration almost everywhere. Your GPA might disqualify you at KSG, but I doubt that it would do so at any other of the schools listed.

As for academic references, they are not always expected for candidates who have been out of school for an extended period. I was admitted - with substantial funding - to a number of good MPP programs last year, with no academic references. I had been out of school for over a decade.

Good luck.

steiner-5:

I think your GRE shores up your GPA, which I find to be okay anyway. I would not worry about the academic references. Like you, my only academic LOR came from a continuing education course, which, in my case, was only tangentially related to public policy. I managed to get into HKS and GPPI.

Reading your profile, I think the only hiccup you might face is showing commitment to the public sector, and I think that might only be an issue for HKS. (Maybe GSPP?) Perhaps you can address that in your resume and SOP with through volunteering experiences... But, you should apply anyway because you otherwise seem to be a competitive candidate, and you will never know unless you try.

Good luck!

Thank you for the kind replies. My post MPP goals would be to work either in a policy analysis capacity at a think tank or possibly in program development/evaluation for an agency like the SEC or Treasury. I am hoping my experience in finance and quantitative skills will help, but I too am worried that my lack of volunteer experience will hurt me (and it sort of seems a little late to do any now since apps are due in just a few months). I've done a few one-off volunteer events for some gay/lesbian organizations and hosted a fund raiser or two for congressional candidates, but I can't say I was involved enough to justify putting it on my resume.

As for the resume itself, it currently reads like I am trying to land a spot at an MBA program (which I most certainly do not want)...I am sort of lost as to how to tailor it to an MPP admissions committee. I did just finish a policy analysis class and completed a 30 page policy analysis. Would it be considered gauche to include a writing sample?

In any event, I suppose I'll have to really focus on my SOP to fill in the holes and express my seriousness of purpose. I just have to keep reminding myself that these programs are looking for all sorts (cue Al Franken as Stuart Smalley!).

Unless the program requests a writing sample, I would not include one (they are generally overwhelmed with paper, and may not welcome more). On the other hand, you could certainly mention your policy analysis class in your statement, and discuss how the class clarified/reinforced your interest in a policy-oriented career. Given your strong GRE scores, I think your main challenge is to make a convincing case that you are committed to a "career shift". In my own program (Chicago-Harris), I know at least a few people who came from the private sector. Write a good statement, and I'm quite confident that you will be fine.

Unless the program requests a writing sample, I would not include one (they are generally overwhelmed with paper, and may not welcome more).

I was thinking that might be the case. Hell, I don't even want to read it anymore!

As for particular programs, any ideas where I might want to apply (or more usefully, where I shouldn't)? I'm definitely applying to GSPP & GPPI. I'll likely apply to HKS & LSE (just for fun :D ). But I am wondering if I should waste my time with NYU or Columbia. I've just gotten so much conflicting information from people about what their programs' strengths are.

Steiner-5

I don't know much about either Columbia-SIPA or NYU, but you might consider adding Chicago, Michigan, Duke and Carnegie-Mellon to your list of 'possibles'. From everything I have seen and heard, these programs are strong and well-respected; also, I believe they all have a substantial econ/quant emphasis (Chicago certainly does). This would seem to play to your strengths/interests.

I would also add SAIS at JHU for the quant focus there. I think you'd get a great blend of policy analysis and economics/econometrics schooling from some brilliant minds in both fields.

I would also add SAIS at JHU for the quant focus there. I think you'd get a great blend of policy analysis and economics/econometrics schooling from some brilliant minds in both fields.

They offer an MPP? I really have no international background, so I never looked into it.

Fair enough. It is actually a masters in international affairs. If you're not interested in going into policy analysis on a global scale, disregard what I said. Sorry!

Johns Hopkins does have an MPP program, but it is not at SAIS. Their MPP is offered by the Institute for Policy Studies, which I believe is located in Baltimore. The MPP program is small, but I've read some positive things about it. It might be worth a look.