University of North Texas Counseling Psychology

SeanDDavies

I'm considering going here but I wanna know if anyone has first hand experience on the quality of the program. Also what's living in Denton like. I didn't get the chance to ask anyone when I went to the visit. They mostly just said it was  asmall town college vibe. 

(just wrote this for another thread)

I can talk a bit about Denton. I graduated from UNT with a BA in English in 2012. Denton, TX is a wonderful town. People characterize it as a "little Austin" since it's got an amazing music history/scene and is known for being kind of quirky/artsy/hipster.

social: at UNT there's pretty much a scene for everybody. punks, activists, republicans, coffee shop lit nerds, fratbros, etc. lots of bars and music venues. local coffee shops and non-chain restaurants are right next to campus so you don't feel like you're just going to any other college. campus is lively even though most live off campus. it's not a "commuter school" where the campus is dead after 5 PM. professors grab lunch with students often.

to escape the UNT bubble, you can walk downtown to the Square in fifteen minutes where you'll see really cute vintage-looking shops (ice cream store, record/book store, antique mall).

transportation: most people have cars, but you can bike pretty much everywhere. the UNT shuttle is pretty reliable. you can get to Dallas in about 30-40 minutes, Austin in about 4 hours.

food: huge variety of quality restaurants. lots of grocery stores. more authentic Asian places can be found closer to Dallas in suburbs like Carrollton or Arlington.

my favorites: Taco Lady (CHEEEAP, authentic as hell), Rooster's Roadhouse (bbq, get the pulled pork nachos and truffle burger even if you're over truffle anything), TJ's Pizza and Wings (gives you a stomachache if you're lactose intolerant because they actually use real cheese. wings are smoked and TDF), Oak St. Drafthouse (craft beers on tap, huge outdoor patio area-the best thing that happened to Denton when I was there), Paschall's (fancier bar with craft cocktails that looks like a grandparent's library), Mr. Frosty Drive In (amazing floats/milkshakes), Yummy's (Greek, great takeout)

rent: really cheap. like, I paid $675 for a two bedroom a ten minute walk from campus in 2010-2012. people often rent houses with roommates, but there are plenty of apartments near by.

Sometimes I wonder why I even left. Sigh...