U of Toronto MPP SPPG 2015 FALL

Ozone15

Anyone here heard from U of T today? Some people over on Cyburbia have been accepted today.

SPPG increased enrolment last year from 55 students per year to 80, which is a pretty huge increase for a graduate program, so the rolling admissions process could take a while.

Hope you have an offer on the way!

Edited by DBT

Does anyone know when the next round of offers will be sent out? I am still waiting on this program and I got early April deadlines to accept other offers...

Does anyone know when the next round of offers will be sent out? I am still waiting on this program and I got early April deadlines to accept other offers...

I am guessing around April 9th-10th Friday they should have second round out. Deadline for first round is Friday April 3rd this week.

I would def call and ask around 9th Thurs.

I called and they said that they were being slower with admission responses this year! She said to expect a round to go out this week, so it would be the afternoon or sometime this week! @stressulcer I got accepted to Queen's MPA too, I think it's an awesome choice as well! Has anyone else been accepted to Queen's for the Masters of Public Administration at all?

I called and they said that they were being slower with admission responses this year! She said to expect a round to go out this week, so it would be the afternoon or sometime this week! @stressulcer I got accepted to Queen's MPA too, I think it's an awesome choice as well! Has anyone else been accepted to Queen's for the Masters of Public Administration at all?

Must be the strike.

Edited by maozedong

Anyone heard from the second round? I'm starting to think I should just proceed with Queens.

This wait is keeping me on the edge of my seat. Someone said that the next round will be sent out this week, but it is already Friday...

Thanks for calling @katiemarc. I've also been accepted to Queens M.PA, but waiting on Toronto. I have not heard anything today either - I doubt that all of us on here would be rejected from UofT, while getting accepted to Queens in the first round... Wait on!

TBH though, Queens may actually be the better choice...an older more established program, a better reputation... How do you all compare UofT M.PP with Queens M.PA? Personally, I like the idea of a 10 month program anyways. I could probably work in government and with other policy actors now, but just need this credential.. 

Edited by rdn

I'm in the same situation. I got accepted to Queen's and Carleton right away. My funding package at Carleton was better than others who got into U of T during the first round. So I expect to get in (I already started a Ph.D at U of T, though that was in a different field and I exited after the M.A. Maybe U of T didn't like this? Though I doubt  SPPG would care about other departments).

Anyway, I have been hotly debating the U of T vs Queen's with myself. I decided against Carleton because I am interested in municipal and provincial policy jurisdictions. 

On the one hand, it is vastly more cost effective to do the program in 10 months (at a likely $18,000 vs $12,000 tuition difference just for the first year). I may learn what I need in 10 months and save on the opportunity cost of the extra year. Even excluding the potential salary that one would earn in the second year of Queen's, I will have to borrow at least $40,000 to attend the U of T, and that is not a marginal cost difference by any means. One good thing about Queen's that I discovered is that you will likely share the summer classes with the Professional stream master's students, so there might be interesting networking opportunities and simply the opportunity to learn with people who have been working in the field already. Also, Queen's policy areas of strength are my areas of interest (social policy, education policy etc.).

However, I live in Toronto and loved my time at the U of T, which, though it is a newer program, I am sure can provide an excellent education.I do like the idea of being able to volunteer or better focus on my studies at U of T, given the 4 vs 5 classes per semester, the extra year of studying and then being able to reflect on the internship experience while still at school (I've never worked in government or policy development before). In addition, more time is devoted to Quantitative Analysis and Economics at U of T - an extra course, anyway. Also, the classes are more general at U of T as opposed to Queen's where they have a lot of really interesting classes that are more specific. I feel that the general skill set is more necessary for me to tackle any issues that might come up in my career rather than an investigation of specific topics, which I am readily capable of pursuing on my own. But, I do want to work in social policy, and Queen's has a lot of classes in that area, so it could benefit me also.

In the end, I believe that I will choose Queen's. Still, not knowing whether I have the option is killing me! 

Edited by MPPWonk

No problem @rdn! Yes, it is very concerning how long they are taking with these, it is pretty much near the end of admissions. I accepted my offer at Queen's and I am very happy with it, although, because I worked so hard on the applications I would like to know what the results of U of T were.