Asking sensitive questions? (potential PhD advisor)

I've received an offer from a program with a POI who is very, very highly respected in the field but who may not still be teaching or taking on graduate students. A different faculty member wrote me to congratulate me on my offer and to ask if I had any questions about the program.

Is it impolite/inappropriate to ask whether or not the POI is still taking on students? Can anyone suggest a tactful and respectful way to phrase that question?

The POI in question is listed as a "Distinguished Professor," in case it's relevant.

Thanks!

I may be wrong about this, but I get the sense that things are different in the humanities, since our funding doesn't come directly from the faculty member (but rather from the whole department).

The reason I suspect he may not be taking on graduate students has nothing to do with funding availability and everything to do with the fact that he may no longer be teaching/may be retiring (but the departmental website isn't clear about this). That's what makes it an awkward question to ask.

I may be wrong about this, but I get the sense that things are different in the humanities, since our funding doesn't come directly from the faculty member (but rather from the whole department).

The reason I suspect he may not be taking on graduate students has nothing to do with funding availability and everything to do with the fact that he may no longer be teaching/may be retiring (but the departmental website isn't clear about this). That's what makes it an awkward question to ask.

I really think you are over thinking this. 

Just say the website is a little ambiguous about your POI's situation and you wanted to make sure you were clear on the whole thing.

Also, the grad chair faculty member for the year sometimes emails all admitted students not just admitted students that applied to work with the grad chair. That could explain why another faculty member emailed you.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

I hadn't listed a POI in my application (I was discouraged from doing so, and I was glad that I did), so it in no way surprised me to hear back from a different faculty member that the one I hope(d) to work with. I was actually kind of relieved to be able to have this exchange with someone outside of my immediate area of interest, because it feels less odd to ask about the suitability of other potential advisors.

In any case, I emailed and just asked the question directly ("Do you know if X is still taking on graduate students?"). Fingers crossed.

Hope it works out! Just wondering, once you got the offer, why didn't you contact this distinguished professor yourself to ask if he/she is taking on students? In my field, this is the first thing I ask, before even applying, so that I don't waste everyone's time if most of the profs I want to work with are not actually taking students that year. Even young profs might not take students if they somehow ended up with more students than they expected the previous year!

I agree that this isn't a particular sensitive question to ask of another professor; you won't be the first student to ask if a potential advisor will be available to work with them.  If you're nervous about asking another professor, you can probably ask a grad student, ideally someone who's worked with your POI. They will generally know if professors are planning to retire. You can also look at the course listings to see if the professor is teaching or has taught in the last year. 

I also echo the why not ask the PI directly?

I emailed the person I wanted to work for at UGA who retired after I submitted my app and he replied very promptly to let me know he still has research privilege and can act as a joint PI and has grant funding for 8 more years so he's still accepting incoming students--and he suggested people he think I'd like as co-mentors to be able to work for him.

Being in the same program as you, I can assure you: it is not sensitive at all to ask this.

That said, do be careful on several grounds: one is how to frame the question. Make it so you're excited by that faculty's research and want to know if they're teaching anything soon. Also mention that you're interested in knowing if other faculties are working in similar areas (ask this even if you know exactly what others work in). Usually as soon as you express your interest, people will understand and start to give you information about whether the person has plans to go on leave/exchange/retire/whatever. If you're visiting, this is also a good chance to request a meeting with this person.

Another important thing is that you should not go to a place because there is one person with whom you want to work. I gather that this is often what's done in the sciences, but should not be the case in philosophy. You're spending half a decade in the program, during which many things may happen - the person may leave for another job, may suddenly decide to retire, may suddenly fall ill, may be a horrible supervisor, may just not click with you philosophically, etc. I've heard quite a few stories about people being brilliant researchers/philosophers but are horrible, horrible at teaching students. Asking if someone else work in similar areas is a good way to broaden your horizon. You could also ask this very friendly faculty if they can introduce you to that person, and try to correspond with them, if that's something you feel comfortable doing.

Another important thing is that you should not go to a place because there is one person with whom you want to work. I gather that this is often what's done in the sciences, but should not be the case in philosophy. You're spending half a decade in the program, during which many things may happen - the person may leave for another job, may suddenly decide to retire, may suddenly fall ill, may be a horrible supervisor, may just not click with you philosophically, etc. I've heard quite a few stories about people being brilliant researchers/philosophers but are horrible, horrible at teaching students. Asking if someone else work in similar areas is a good way to broaden your horizon. You could also ask this very friendly faculty if they can introduce you to that person, and try to correspond with them, if that's something you feel comfortable doing.

For the same reasons you state, prospective graduate students in the sciences are also discouraged from applying/attending programs where there is only one person that they might want to work with. I only applied to schools that had at least 3 people with related interests and when I visited the programs, I looked for at least 2 people I could see myself working with, just in case the first person I worked with did not work out.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'm finding that the most challenging and scary part of this whole process, for me, (post-application anxiety, that is), is related to the need/desire to be tactful and strategic in soliciting information. It's challenging to find he best way to word things with people you've never met, and when it's all electronic communication. Especially for someone as inherently neurotic and socially awkward as I am...

For the same reasons you state, prospective graduate students in the sciences are also discouraged from applying/attending programs where there is only one person that they might want to work with. I only applied to schools that had at least 3 people with related interests and when I visited the programs, I looked for at least 2 people I could see myself working with, just in case the first person I worked with did not work out.

Thanks DontFly & TakeruK - those points are very helpful!

I've been trying to choose programs that "check a number of boxes" (namely, have people working in Ancient Phil, Kant, Hegel & phenomenology), but it's been difficult to find a department that offers great teachers in all those areas (of course), so my new challenge has been trying to find the best compromise. The program I mentioned has a rock star in one of those areas (the POI who may be retiring), but the rest I'm not so sure about. Still, I'm starting to think that it may not be worth the gamble.

I've been trying to choose programs that "check a number of boxes" (namely, have people working in Ancient Phil, Kant, Hegel & phenomenology), but it's been difficult to find a department that offers great teachers in all those areas (of course), so my new challenge has been trying to find the best compromise. The program I mentioned has a rock star in one of those areas (the POI who may be retiring), but the rest I'm not so sure about. Still, I'm starting to think that it may not be worth the gamble.

I would advise against gambling on any one professor. Things can go wrong in all kinds of ways if you put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak. DontFly mentions some above. It's important to have at least one backup option. Even if you are able to work with this advisor, you'll need to form a dissertation committee at some point, so there should be at least two other people who you could reasonably talk to about your work and who you get along with, even if your interests aren't too closely matched. 

I'd also suggest you ask more or less straight up if this professor plans to still advise PhD theses 5 years from now. It's not going to be enough to know if he is teaching courses next year, or even 3 years from now. What you want is a different level of commitment. 

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I'm finding that the most challenging and scary part of this whole process, for me, (post-application anxiety, that is), is related to the need/desire to be tactful and strategic in soliciting information. It's challenging to find he best way to word things with people you've never met, and when it's all electronic communication. Especially for someone as inherently neurotic and socially awkward as I am...

Thanks DontFly & TakeruK - those points are very helpful!

It's usually a good idea to spread out your priorities, but it's especially important to spread out supervisor options.

I've heard some true stories of people who are brilliant philosophers, great researchers, even nicest colleagues, but who are never around for their students, don't read their students' dissertations, don't ever give comments, can't place anyone. Some people have wasted a couple of years before having to switch supervisor. Don't gamble on that.

Edited by DontFly