CS PhD USC vs. Harvard

blubb

Hi all,

I have two offers for my CS PhD studies and would like to have your suggestions. :-)

I'm an international student and I wonder what program might be better. Is there an obvious choice between the programs at Harvard and USC?

My POI at USC seems to advice a much larger number of students than the one at Harvard. This could be good or bad.

Also generally the name Harvard is better, but considering the name of the University in CS, I guess USC is much better.

Considering funding, the offers are equal and I guess locations are both not bad.

Any advice? All comments are welcomed! Thanks!

Edited by blubb

According to this, in CS Harvard is 18 and USC is 20:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/computer-science-rankings

Personally I'd go Harvard. That name will open doors that USC cannot. 

What type of research are you interested in? No guarantees that it's the research you'll *do*, but e.g. if you're interested in machine learning USC has more resources for that, while Harvard is stronger in theory (from what I've heard).

As far as the Harvard name, I agree that it will be more impressive to people in general, but as far as actual professional utility it seems to be more about who you know and the work you do. For example if you're looking for a summer internship at MSR it's probably going to happen because your advisor/someone you've worked with passes your name along rather than an HR person saying "ooh, look, Harvard".

So whichever place sets you up to do the best research you can with the least stressful funding is probably the right choice. I don't think either one is clearly better than the other right off the bat.

Cambridge and LA are also pretty different cities...

Edited by pascal_barbots_wager

Thanks for the comments so far.

Considering the ranking, I didn't find an information about how the score is calculated.

I am working in an applied field.

Do you mean the cities are different in terms of job opportunity or general living?

Thanks for the comments so far.

Considering the ranking, I didn't find an information about how the score is calculated.

I am working in an applied field.

Do you mean the cities are different in terms of job opportunity or general living?

Both. Have you had/will you get a chance to visit? I don't know if that's possible as an international, but it would be helpful. You might also try asking around at your current university or asking the opinion of the people who wrote your recs. You could also talk to some grad students of your POIs.

I'd pick Harvard. The name will definitely open up doors, and reputation (perhaps unfortunately) matters a lot in this world. Also, Harvard has a ton of money coming in. I can only assume this means that the facilities for research and otherwise are top-notch. Harvard isn't going to hire faculty who are just mediocre in the field. Regardless of ranking they only want the best. Unless the location of the school is a major factor (which is totally reasonable), I'd go to Harvard in a heart-beat, but that's just me.

To build on what another commenter said -- LA and Cambridge are very different cities. 

USC is near downtown LA. Lots of traffic, sunshine + heat, mexican and korean food are great. Ghetto dogs and burrito trucks parked on Melrose on Saturday nights. The city is spread out, sprawling away from the coast up into the foothills and down into the desert, connected by a system of long rippling criss-crossing silver freeways. Palm trees and mission-style architecture, ranch-style houses. The USC campus is generally full of people in flip-flops and t-shirts, riding bikes and skateboards. Lots of billboards, movie-type ads. It's an industry town. The sunlight is bright and hot and dry. 

Harvard anchors Cambridge in the north (while MIT anchors the south), a small, close-knit, walking village tied together through a series of even-smaller "squares" filled with New-American style restaurants with fireplaces and darkened underground bars. Cobblestone streets and colonial architecture. You can walk from one end of the village to the other in an hour. The Harvard campus is populated by serious-looking people in New England-style prep. Snowstorms and blizzards aplenty in the winter, crippling humidity in the summer, but in the fall the warm, gentle sunlight passing through jewel-like orange leaves turns golden.