In between advisors - what do I do?

I am a 1st year grad student who quit my old advisor's group back in January. I feel way better, much less stressed and actually look forward to doing research now. I'm currently doing an independent study in fundamental semiconductor physics. Most of my fabrication experiments have been failures but I'm getting along with the group and feel pretty comfortable. However, this professor already said that he can't fund me over the summer, and whether he can actually take me as a student is an unknown, since the department requires students to be funded by PIs whenever they are not on TA. He told me to talk to other professors to keep my options open in case that he can't.

Right now I've talked to two other professors. One is a professor in semiconductors and said that he has the money but doesn't want to take any new students this year - come talk to him again in July. The other professor in biophysics said "maybe I can take another student" but the project I'm most interested in is a collaboration with another professor; he suggested for me to also talk to that professor. After actually doing research in semiconductors, I'm starting to doubt whether I can succeed in this field. My independent study ends in May, and I have to find a permanent group by then. Hard choices.

Edited by SymmetryOfImperfection

It sounds like you are down to one option -- having a co-PI with this professor in biophysics (if you are uncertain whether you can succeed in the field of semiconductors). Having co-PI may also help with your funding situation. In terms of who pay what % of your stipend -- that discussion will eventually happened and the PIs will figure that out.

You'll just need to "talk to that professor" on the collaborating project.

It sounds like you are down to one option -- having a co-PI with this professor in biophysics (if you are uncertain whether you can succeed in the field of semiconductors). Having co-PI may also help with your funding situation. In terms of who pay what % of your stipend -- that discussion will eventually happened and the PIs will figure that out.

You'll just need to "talk to that professor" on the collaborating project.

yep, thanks for the advice.