can a economic phd apply doctoral program of political science ?

​Hi everyone,

I  already have a doctoral degree in economics ,but based on my working experiences, I find I am very interested in international relations and comparative politics. To be trained more professionally and pursue my career in the academic institutions, I want to apply the doctoral program of political science.

So I am wondering whether am I allowed to apply the doctoral program of political science? or Is there any limitation for those who already have a doctoral degree? and which school prefer candidate with working experience?

Looking forward suggestions.

Thank you.

You are certainly allowed, but they will expect your application to be more thorough because of your academic background. If you have an idea of where your research interests lie, I don't think you will have a problem. I think your econ background will certainly help though, as you will have sufficient quantitative training. 

I think this differs on a school by school basis.  I remember that during my application process, some schools specifically said that they were usually not open to admitting students with doctorate-level training in closely related disciplines (one of the UCs, I think--UCLA?).  Other schools would undoubtedly consider the perspective granted by a doctorate in economics a plus, given the increasing convergence of the two fields.

Because of that convergence, however, I wonder whether an additional doctorate would be worth the time investment for you.  If you are interested in pursuing comparative research from a formal methodological perspective, you might already have substantially more advanced training than most political scientists working in that area.  As a general rule, I think that formal theorists trained in economics departments have more nuanced training than formal theorists trained in poli sci departments.

I seriously wonder whether any necessary 'migration' could be accomplished as one or two years as a post-doctoral researcher, as opposed to several more as a graduate student.

Just something to think about--hopefully it has been useful.

I doubt any good program would take you.  Econ PhDs regularly get jobs in political science departments, so they'd be suspicious of your need for more training. They'd assume that since you struck out in econ and couldn't get a faculty job in a political science with your econ PhD, that several more years of doctoral training wouldn't change things.

If you really want to learn more about politics, find some syllabi for PhD courses and go through the readings yourself.  Publish some papers in political science journals, and go on the political science job market.

As someone already stated, institutional rules will differ on this. More generally, you're going to have to convince an admissions committee what the value added of their program is expected to be so that they don't think you frivolous. But no reason you can't do so.

You are certainly allowed, but they will expect your application to be more thorough because of your academic background. If you have an idea of where your research interests lie, I don't think you will have a problem. I think your econ background will certainly help though, as you will have sufficient quantitative training. 

Thank you so much for your encouragement.

And one more question, do you know which university would prefer candidates with econ background.

I think this differs on a school by school basis.  I remember that during my application process, some schools specifically said that they were usually not open to admitting students with doctorate-level training in closely related disciplines (one of the UCs, I think--UCLA?).  Other schools would undoubtedly consider the perspective granted by a doctorate in economics a plus, given the increasing convergence of the two fields.

Because of that convergence, however, I wonder whether an additional doctorate would be worth the time investment for you.  If you are interested in pursuing comparative research from a formal methodological perspective, you might already have substantially more advanced training than most political scientists working in that area.  As a general rule, I think that formal theorists trained in economics departments have more nuanced training than formal theorists trained in poli sci departments.

I seriously wonder whether any necessary 'migration' could be accomplished as one or two years as a post-doctoral researcher, as opposed to several more as a graduate student.

Just something to think about--hopefully it has been useful.

Thank you so much for your answer and sincere suggestion.

I will consider your suggestion seriously.

I doubt any good program would take you.  Econ PhDs regularly get jobs in political science departments, so they'd be suspicious of your need for more training. They'd assume that since you struck out in econ and couldn't get a faculty job in a political science with your econ PhD, that several more years of doctoral training wouldn't change things.

If you really want to learn more about politics, find some syllabi for PhD courses and go through the readings yourself.  Publish some papers in political science journals, and go on the political science job market.

Thank you for your answer.

It is a definitely a good choice to publish some papers in political science journals. And I think a good program background will improve the publish quality and possibility.

As someone already stated, institutional rules will differ on this. More generally, you're going to have to convince an admissions committee what the value added of their program is expected to be so that they don't think you frivolous. But no reason you can't do so.

Thank you for your answer.