Canadian MA vs US MA?

I'm in the process of choosing between McGill and Boston College for an MA in English. While BC has given me more funding, McGill is very affordable from the start and mentioned the possibility of further funding, whether through TAships, RAships, or grants, in the future. Is anyone familiar with either of these programs and the relative merits or disadvantages of each? I'm interested in British and American modernism, phenomenology, and film and literature.

Edited by thefurtivemagic

Go to McGill. Montreal is cheap and beautiful. McGill has a great department, and MA students in Canadian programs tend to get more attention than American MA students, since terminal MAs are standard in Canada. 

I'm in the same boat -- currently deciding between the Boston College MA and a strong Canadian MA program. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this subject as well.

I'm particularly interested to hear more information about the BC MA program, if anyone has experience with it (it was one of my very top choices for the PhD, but I don't know as much about the MA.)

I'm in the same boat -- currently deciding between the Boston College MA and a strong Canadian MA program. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this subject as well.

I'm particularly interested to hear more information about the BC MA program, if anyone has experience with it (it was one of my very top choices for the PhD, but I don't know as much about the MA.)

I'm not at BC myself, but I do know that they draw a significant number of their PhD students from their MA pool. So if your heart is set on BC for the PhD, taking their MA offer might be the way to go. 

I'm not at BC myself, but I do know that they draw a significant number of their PhD students from their MA pool. So if your heart is set on BC for the PhD, taking their MA offer might be the way to go.

I think you're confusing BC and BU, actually. Doesn't BC only have 4-5 people in their PhD cohorts?

At any rate, I almost went to BC for an MA after my first app cycle (I even accepted the offer) but I have nothing particularly substantive to add to help you out

Hey guys! I just posted about the BC MA in the English forum - I got offered some funding to go there, so I am strongly considering it. I'm from Boston, if anyone has any questions. I'm visiting on Monday morning, anyone else?