Funding sources- US Student at Canadian School

xolxs

Hello,

As the title says, I am an American student currently in my second semester of an MA program at a Canadian University.  I've spent quite a lot of time looking for funding sources from either the US or Canada and find that I am often ineligible because of my international status.  For example, I'm not eligible for NSF fellowships because I am not at an American university, and I am not eligible for Canadian tri council funding because I am not a permanent resident of Canada.  I am hoping that there are others who have been in my situation and can offer some advice about what options I have.  I have a fellowship and a grant from my school, but given the insane cost of living here, that ain't gonna cut it. 

At this point, I can't give you much advice. I'm also a US student trying to get into a Canadian University. I've been nominated for two scholarships but they are prestigious.

What I'm going to try for is NIH next year. NIH will fund people going to foreign institutions.

Where are you attending? Sometimes there are provincial scholarships that international students can apply for (such as the Ontario Graduate Scholarships).

You're also in psychology, so there are small awards you can receive through APA (they are for students attending a US or Canadian school). There may be some discipline-specific awards that you can apply for, depending on what you are researching.

I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck to you!

If you are in Ontario then you might be eligible for the OGS (Ontario Graduate Scholarship).

It's too bad that you can't take NSF funding to Canada :( Canada allows me to take NSERC funding to the US (albeit at a reduced award level)!