UK vs US

bambi_86

So, I am lucky enough to have been accepted to two PhD programs. This might sound impressive but for the record, I did apply to ten programs all in all and I've received six rejections so far, none of which were pleasant but mostly expected. 

My perspective and priorities have all changed dramatically throughout the process, and that's why I'm posting this. My first acceptance was from an absolute top university in the UK. It's one of the highest ranked universities in the world and I was almost certain I was going to accept it when I first found out. But since then a lot of my impressions have changed. My advisor-to-be has been practically impossible to get in contact with, and as is common practice in the UK, no real course work is involved. The funding situation is also very unclear. 

And a few weeks ago, I got admitted to my second program. It's at the history department at a US Ivy League school -- one of the lower Ivy's, but the department seems fantastic. Full funding is included for five years and I've gotten a great impression of the faculty, who have all been very encouraging, eager and welcoming. In stark contrast to the UK school, that is.

I guess the main question I have for you guys is a very classic dilemma: prestige and name brand value vs other crucial factors. The US school has great name value as well but I know that many would be more impressed by the UK one, employers as well as others. 

I know prestige shouldn't be a decisive factor but I'm still interested in hearing what you guys think. 

What are the schools? It's difficult to form an opinion with such vague details. But at any rate, if the UK school doesn't give you funding and I were you, then I would not go if I had to pay.

My advisor-to-be has been practically impossible to get in contact with, and as is common practice in the UK, no real course work is involved. The funding situation is also very unclear. 

And a few weeks ago, I got admitted to my second program. It's at the history department at a US Ivy League school -- one of the lower Ivy's, but the department seems fantastic. Full funding is included for five years and I've gotten a great impression of the faculty, who have all been very encouraging, eager and welcoming. In stark contrast to the UK school, that is.

Based on these factors, pick the U.S. school. A "lower Ivy" with these pros will far outweigh perceived UK prestige in terms of thinking about where you want to spend the next several years of your life. 

I would be concerned about not knowing about funding, personally.

It sounds like they are both really good schools. I'm not sure what other factors are important to you so I can't really give an opinion based on what you have here.

Congrats on both acceptances, though. :)

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I know it really shouldn't be a difficult question. The program and its contents is what matters, not the name of the school. It's just a little hard to imagine turning down an offer from this UK school, but I guess program content and contact with professors should always be the most important factor. Another issue I guess is that the UK program is in a discipline a little closer to what I want to pursue on the job market, plus the program is way shorter, but I think it wouldn't be worth it in the end. 

I'm also applying to UK schools for masters this round - based on information I've heard so far, if these are your two choices, think about where you are intending to work. If you want to work in the US, I would definitely go to UPenn. They'll have more connections here to other US universities and I think that would outweigh the slight rank difference!

Also, in terms of program length, consider this - if you're going to go into debt to go to the UK program, will you be able to pay it off in the extra two years you gain? Do you have a definitive plan for what you would do in those two years?
If not, or you don't think you'd be able to make the money back, I would go to UPenn.

I'm also applying to UK schools for masters this round - based on information I've heard so far, if these are your two choices, think about where you are intending to work. If you want to work in the US, I would definitely go to UPenn. They'll have more connections here to other US universities and I think that would outweigh the slight rank difference!

I second this.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I know it really shouldn't be a difficult question. The program and its contents is what matters, not the name of the school. It's just a little hard to imagine turning down an offer from this UK school, but I guess program content and contact with professors should always be the most important factor. Another issue I guess is that the UK program is in a discipline a little closer to what I want to pursue on the job market, plus the program is way shorter, but I think it wouldn't be worth it in the end. 

It probably depends on your field. As an objective outside person, I think they both have great reputations, so I wouldn't worry so much. If they have very different levels of prestige in your area, then I would take it into consideration.

I concur what others have said -- I know people who got their masters/PhDs/DPhils at UK schools (including LSE, Oxford, and UCL) and had a VERY tough time transitioning to the academic job market in the states. I was also strongly advised against pursuing a DPhil at Oxford (but applied anyway because I love the program there). 

If you want to build a career in the US, go to UPenn. 

Thanks a lot to all of you. What you say really echoes what I've heard from a lot of people at my current grad program. There seems to be somewhat of a divide between academic and professionals on this; many of the former tend to be skeptical of UK PhD programs for the reasons you all mention, while some others still think that name brand value and prestige weighs heavily. All factors that shouldn't really matter. My main concern with Cambridge wouldn't even be the job market issue, but rather actually getting through the program without formal coursework or close supervision. 

Again, thanks a lot to all of you, just wanted to make sure I wasn't committing a huge mistake in declining Cambridge. 

Of course it is! I would never claim otherwise and I hope that's not how you perceived what I wrote. I feel very fortunate to have such an option but even among "stellar institutions" there are obviously differences in rankings. Not that they necessarily matter that much.