Unaccredited MPH?

TheMercySeat

Hi all,

I got into a PhD program at a reputable institution that just recently incorporated a MPH into the university's graduate programs. The MPH is new and pending accreditation, and I was told that it would probably be accredited upon my graduation.

I never had the intention of getting a MPH until now, and I think this option would add maybe a year onto my degree. I would appreciate some informed opinions on this option.

I think that it depends on what your degree is in and what your career goals are. What is the purpose of getting an MPH? Would you have to pay any money to add on the MPH? If you want to join the public health service, I think you need an accredited MPH. But it sounds like your MPH will be accredited. That's the only situation I can think of in which accreditation matters. Otherwise, the choice would mostly be whether you want to spend an extra year getting an MPH. 

I think that it depends on what your degree is in and what your career goals are. What is the purpose of getting an MPH? Would you have to pay any money to add on the MPH? If you want to join the public health service, I think you need an accredited MPH. But it sounds like your MPH will be accredited. That's the only situation I can think of in which accreditation matters. Otherwise, the choice would mostly be whether you want to spend an extra year getting an MPH.

Thanks!!

It would (in my mind):

(1) add value to my PhD

(2) speak to the breadth of my training

(3) if I'm part of the 50% that fail to complete a PhD, I won't leave empty handed. I'm not counting on dropping out, but it's always nice to have a plan B if something happens to me, my advisor, my program ect.

The university has a relationship with a partner institution that hosts an accredited MPH, so I might look into seeing if I have any wiggle room with that in the interest of having an accredited degree.

Can one have a reasonable job with a MPH from an unaccredited program if (3) happens?

Edited by TheMercySeat