Advice on GRE

unagi

Hey everyone! 

I am applying later on this year and I recently took my GRE. I scored 158v 158q and 5.5writing. I have done about 162+ on the quant section during practice tests and I was a wee bit disappointed by my performance (even though I faced some really weird problems I hadn't encountered while I practiced). I had been studying moderately-intensely for 3 months. 

I am thinking of retaking it but at the same time, it seems like a lot of time/effort into something that might not be that horrible (not to mention $$). I have a 3.79 GPA in Economics and have 2-3 years internship experience (NGOs, research, and a little bit internationally as well). Would you retake the GRE if you were in my situation?

I am looking to apply to schools such as: LSE, SAIS, Georgetown, George Washington, IHEID, SOAS.

Please any advice will help!! Thank you and have a great day!  :)  :)  :)

Hey everyone! 

I am applying later on this year and I recently took my GRE. I scored 158v 158q and 5.5writing. I have done about 162+ on the quant section during practice tests and I was a wee bit disappointed by my performance (even though I faced some really weird problems I hadn't encountered while I practiced). I had been studying moderately-intensely for 3 months. 

I am thinking of retaking it but at the same time, it seems like a lot of time/effort into something that might not be that horrible (not to mention $$). I have a 3.79 GPA in Economics and have 2-3 years internship experience (NGOs, research, and a little bit internationally as well). Would you retake the GRE if you were in my situation?

I am looking to apply to schools such as: LSE, SAIS, Georgetown, George Washington, IHEID, SOAS.

Please any advice will help!! Thank you and have a great day!  :)  :)  :)

What are you applying FOR? Master or PhD?   I would be more worried about the verbal, the quant is fine. Either way, those scores should be fine to meet admission requirements. Your references, experiences, education, and SOP will be far more important that a couple more points on the GRE.

What are you applying FOR? Master or PhD?   I would be more worried about the verbal, the quant is fine. Either way, those scores should be fine to meet admission requirements. Your references, experiences, education, and SOP will be far more important that a couple more points on the GRE.

Seconded.

If you're going for a doctorate, maybe a retake is in order. For a masters, I'd only retake it if you have ample time and the drive to raise it a few points to be ultra competitive, but your stats seem competitive as is for top programs. HOWEVER, like WhatAmIdoingNow mentioned, what you write to highlight your passions, explaining why you want a masters, and procuring strong letters that confirm what you write is quite significant in your applications. Perfect stats get rejected all the time if there's no passion and personality behind them. I guess I'm an example of this. My stats are mostly below elite school averages, yet I poured my soul into my apps and ask only for strong letters from people I knew that could write them.

To reiterate, you're relatively competitive compared with other users on this board so just make sure you and your letter writers speak to your passions, capability, and how X university will help you get to your specified destination.

I'd even throw some apps at U Texas LBJ, Michigan Ford, USC Price, UCLA Luskin, and Duke Sanford if I were you for the $$$$$ I'm seeing people get with comparable numbers. But again, make sure you really sell your story. Good luck!

Edited by kooyah

Thank you for your advice guys! :)

I am applying for Masters programs in the schools that I have mentioned. I am definitely working on my letters of rec being top notch and my personal statement as well so I will make sure that those two sections of my application are solid as well.

kooyah I will definitely take a look at the list of schools you provided and broaden my list of schools!

I had mediocre GREs (not exagerating), however I worked my behind off on my Statement of Purpose and got accepted into George Washington. I did not get any funding, but I am very happy to have been accepted into one of its most competitive concentratons and receving a personal congrats email from a professor. However in your case, getting the high GREs WITH a kickass Statement of Purpose will definitely give you a higher chance of getting funding along with admittance. I say this post in regards to getting a Masters, not a PhD btw.

Edited by Guest

OneLove21 I'm glad things worked out for you that way! :) Do you have any preference on where you are headed between American SIS and GWU?

Yeah the main issue would be funding, especially in the US schools. I will see how to practice tests go and then retake if I think I can do better. Thanks so much for your input :)

Sure thing.I honestly see myself leaning towards GWU because I want to get to the 'intelligence analysis' aspect of International security. GWU offers a specific specialization on that, unlike American. But, I'm still comparing both in terms of work-study programs, overseas opportunties, faculty, language requirements, class formation, curriculum, etc lol.