MSc Public Health at LSHTM vs. MPH at Edinburgh?

equus

I'm a Canadian undergrad student, and I've recently been accepted to both the MSc Public Health programme at the LSHTM and the MPH programme at the University of Edinburgh, which were my top two choices. I'm having a really tough time deciding between them, so hopefully some of you can give me some advice.

My ultimate goal is medical school, but I also want to conduct international public health research on malaria (specifically, pregnancy-associated malaria and cerebral malaria in children) and HIV (specifically, increased risk of HIV infection in women who experience intimate partner violence). Clearly, the LSHTM would be a better fit for my research interests and has a greater international reputation in public health, but the cost of tuition (£20,000) and accommodation in London, England, (£12,500) is terrifying. As well, the school year runs from late September 2015 to late September 2016, meaning that I would not be able to reapply to medical school in Canada immediately. Finally, I'm worried that living in London might be overwhelming, and that being in a class full of older professionals at LSHTM from all over the world would be intimidating.

On the other hand, I went on exchange to the University of Edinburgh two years ago, so I'm familiar with the city and still have many friends there. The tuition (£16,500) and accommodation (£6,000) are more reasonable, and the programme finishes in August. However, I'm not sure I would have the same opportunity to focus my studies on my particular research interests.

Does anyone have experience at either of these schools and could give me advice?

You've pretty much answered the only questions we could answer for you. As you said, the LSHTM is obviously the best choice academically. They are largely considered the top school of public health in the world and place a large amount of their research emphasis on infectious diseases (which it appears are your interests as well). The difference in cost that you're looking at comes to roughly £10,000 (as I believe both programs are 1 yr? I may be wrong on this). How significant is that to you? In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't seem like much. Especially if you end up attending medical school. However, that does bring us to your last point: location. Location is a huge factor. Although I have never been to either city, I'd imagine they are very different with distinct cultures. I don't know you personally so I cannot speak to whether or not London would be a good fit for you. It's only a year and it could be an adventure if you're up for it.

Edited by IntriguedStudent

• 2 years later...

Hi! I am under exactly the same choice right now and I have to literally make a decision overnight. The prestige of the university amd a program means everything for me however no ranking seem to be clear on that coming to this 2 universities. Is MS in PH more valuable than MPH or vise versa? I have a feeling MPH is more complete degree? 

Cost of the program has no difference for me as I am a scholarship student. 

Thank you.

Please let me know what you chose and how was the experience.