Grad School in Europe or US?

Hi everyone,

I am facing a pretty tough decision as many of you around here do too I am sure. Here is my situation: 

I have to pick between a highly ranked school in the US that offered me some funding, but not enough to cover all the cost. OR a newer, much, much smaller school in Europe but that seems promising and would be pretty much free to attend... 

I have the opportunity to live with family while in the US, but I don't know if I want to do that. Even in that case, I'll have to come up with the remaining 40K to pay for my tuition (I don't have undergrad loans anymore and it kinda scares me to get loans again). On the other hand, I really miss living in Europe (I am a dual EU/US citizen).

I want to work for an international governmental organization (like UN) and be based in Europe.

So long story short: prestigious expensive school in the US that will lead to debt, or little school without much credentials in Europe with no debt.

I suggest providing much more information about each school and the amount of aid you will be receiving from each school. Without an idea of which programs, what they provide, what you want to study, etc., it's hard to give you advice just based on Europe vs. US or debt vs. no debt. Your US school could easily be one with great international connections. Don't forget to leverage funds from the European school to ask for more if you decide you really want to go to the US one!

I suggest providing much more information about each school and the amount of aid you will be receiving from each school. Without an idea of which programs, what they provide, what you want to study, etc., it's hard to give you advice just based on Europe vs. US or debt vs. no debt. Your US school could easily be one with great international connections. Don't forget to leverage funds from the European school to ask for more if you decide you really want to go to the US one!

Yeah sorry, I didn't want to provide too much personal info. The schools are the United Nations/Maastricht University v. George Washington U, where I got $20,000 over two years. Cost would be $45,000 (that I would still need to pay after scholarship money) v. $2,000. Really huge difference. The cost of living would also be cheaper in he European town than in D.C. surprisingly.

My career plan is to work for the UN/EU in Europe. I have got my undergraduate degree in the US and I have been living here for several years, but I am ready to move back. However, GWU is 7th in the world in my field, which is very competitive. UN Maastricht University is not ranked internationally, not a bad school, but very new. They've got some visiting professors from Oxford and NYU.

It looks like the European school will set me up for more of a European path, which is what I want, but I have the impression GWU can do that too.

I am really concerned about taking so much loans and I don't want to have this weight on my shoulders, BUT lots of people here see education as an investment. So I am just really unsure...