NYU vs NYU Poly for MSCS

billrach

Hi everyone,

I got into NYU and NYU Poly for MSCS.  I got into Poly with a 6,000/year scholarship.  Poly's tuition is 100 cheaper per credit, so all in all, Poly's degree with be 15,000 cheaper.

My question is, is NYU Courant heads and shoulders above Poly?  

And am I dumb for considering Poly?  Is it stupid to choose Poly over 15,000? 

I'm mostly concerned about job prospects as a software engineer,  I have no interest in doing a phd.

I'm probably going to have the same question, I have been accepted into the NYU Courant program but haven't heard back from Poly yet.

Courant and Poly students share the same career fairs, so students from both have access to the same companies.  But I wonder if the recruiters have a strong preference for Courant over Poly.  I feel like most of them won't care/know the difference.

BTW, are you coming in with a CS background?  

Edited by billrach

Courant and Poly students share the same career fairs, so students from both have access to the same companies.  But I wonder if the recruiters have a strong preference for Courant over Poly.  I feel like most of them won't care/know the difference.

BTW, are you coming in with a CS background?  

Yea, I'm completing my Bachelor's in CS right now.

Edited by Matrix21

I posted this is the other thread asking

There really is no difference anymore since NYU poly is now fully merged with NYU. If you graduate from "NYU poly" your degree will jus say NYU not NYU poly. You have all access to NYU resources and such. They use to be more separated than they are now. They even renamed it as well. It is now just considered another "school" of NYU. I've been accepted into Stevens but am taking the gre for NYU school of engineering.

I posted this is the other thread asking

There really is no difference anymore since NYU poly is now fully merged with NYU. If you graduate from "NYU poly" your degree will jus say NYU not NYU poly. You have all access to NYU resources and such. They use to be more separated than they are now. They even renamed it as well. It is now just considered another "school" of NYU. I've been accepted into Stevens but am taking the gre for NYU school of engineering.

I dont believe this is correct. According to this page: http://engineering.nyu.edu/about/merger/faqIt says " Starting January 2014, graduates will receive diplomas that read “New York University” along with the school affiliation, “Polytechnic School of Engineering,” consistent with other schools of NYU. " So the diploma will  read starting in 2014:  "New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering". Before starting in 2008 the diploma read: " Polytechnic Institute of New York University" Either way it still is the polytechnic. I really would not say there is no difference anymore, and you don't have access to all NYU resources, read the page for more info.

Edited by msgrad123

Hi,

Different field, but here are my 2 cents based upon conversations with a former STEM student there.  Forget what potential employers think for a minute.  Instead, think about your grad school experience.   

1. Courant has a phenomenal reputation that precedes it.  As a result, I'm sure it's loaded with funding.

2.  NYU Poly still has a way to go (at least in certain departments) when it comes to funding.  This is going to have a profound impact on your experience if you're pursuing a research-based MS.  If you go the Poly route, you may want an advisor from NYU, if possible.

Honestly, I would go to Courant.  Or, at the very least, do your homework about funding and see if an NYU advisor will take you on.  That would be the only way I'd pass on Courant.

*Just curious: I always associate Courant with mathematics.  Are you interested in data science/scientific computing, or anything like that?

Hi,

Different field, but here are my 2 cents based upon conversations with a former STEM student there.  Forget what potential employers think for a minute.  Instead, think about your grad school experience.   

1. Courant has a phenomenal reputation that precedes it.  As a result, I'm sure it's loaded with funding.

2.  NYU Poly still has a way to go (at least in certain departments) when it comes to funding.  This is going to have a profound impact on your experience if you're pursuing a research-based MS.  If you go the Poly route, you may want an advisor from NYU, if possible.

Honestly, I would go to Courant.  Or, at the very least, do your homework about funding and see if an NYU advisor will take you on.  That would be the only way I'd pass on Courant.

*Just curious: I always associate Courant with mathematics.  Are you interested in data science/scientific computing, or anything like that?

I'm not looking to do research.  I'm mostly looking to land a job with this degree.  I come from a finance background, so I'm trying to use this degree to transition to a developer role.

I'm not too interested in data science, but I am interested in Machine learning, which Courant is very strong in.

• 1 month later...

I dont believe this is correct. According to this page: http://engineering.nyu.edu/about/merger/faqIt says " Starting January 2014, graduates will receive diplomas that read “New York University” along with the school affiliation, “Polytechnic School of Engineering,” consistent with other schools of NYU. " So the diploma will  read starting in 2014:  "New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering". Before starting in 2008 the diploma read: " Polytechnic Institute of New York University" Either way it still is the polytechnic. I really would not say there is no difference anymore, and you don't have access to all NYU resources, read the page for more info.

Umm you're wrong... so wrong...How do you get that from what you posted? It's now considered just another school just like Stern School of Business etc..... So if you Graduate from Stern it would say "New York University Stern School of Business"  If you graduate from "NYU Poly" your degree would say "New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering" Just like it would for any other school in NYU. Before it wasn't even an NYU degree.. It was a NYU Poly degree and before that Poly.... And FYI you now do get full access to the NYU services. ;)

Source: http://engineering.nyu.edu/files/ftp/files/Merger%20Communications_Nov%2026%202013.pdf

From the document:

About the merger:

To be precise, the Polytechnic Institute of NYU will: o no longer exist as an independent and separate corporation, o no longer have separate 501c3 status, o no longer be a separate employer, o be accredited as a school within New York University, rather than as an individual higher education institution, and o complete integration with most areas of the school and university by January 1, with some work-around transactions continuing through September 2014.

About services:

"The merger will enable a new service model that coordinates many services at the University level while enabling students, staff, and faculty to access many services at either a Brooklyn or Washington Square location, depending on which is more convenient for them. x NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering will continue to provide those services that are normally provided by a school or discipline (e.g. academic department administration and degree program administration, many graduate student services, discipline-specific activities, etc.). x NYU will provide a suite of university-wide services (e.g. undergraduate admissions, financial aid administration, university life services and programming, financial operations, facilities management, and public safety & security). x Because services have been consolidating since 2008, constituents will have anticipated many of the changes on January 1, 2014. However, in some specific cases, 2013-2014 is still considered a transitional year. For example, Athletics, per the NCAA waiver we sought and received, will not be fully merged until the summer of 2014. In addition, student employment policies and processes will not be fully integrated until the summer of 2014. Our December communications will indicate which services will and will not yet be fully integrated. x In some cases, the person you call or the process you engage in to access a service may change slightly. (For instance, your usual contact for purchasing will change to a contact in a University-level office.) x Resource guides will be made available by each department, as appropriate and necessary, for NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering constituents."

• 1 month later...

Umm you're wrong... so wrong...How do you get that from what you posted? It's now considered just another school just like Stern School of Business etc..... So if you Graduate from Stern it would say "New York University Stern School of Business"  If you graduate from "NYU Poly" your degree would say "New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering" Just like it would for any other school in NYU. Before it wasn't even an NYU degree.. It was a NYU Poly degree and before that Poly.... And FYI you now do get full access to the NYU services. ;)

Source: http://engineering.nyu.edu/files/ftp/files/Merger%20Communications_Nov%2026%202013.pdf

From the document:

About the merger:

To be precise, the Polytechnic Institute of NYU will: o no longer exist as an independent and separate corporation, o no longer have separate 501c3 status, o no longer be a separate employer, o be accredited as a school within New York University, rather than as an individual higher education institution, and o complete integration with most areas of the school and university by January 1, with some work-around transactions continuing through September 2014.

About services:

"The merger will enable a new service model that coordinates many services at the University level while enabling students, staff, and faculty to access many services at either a Brooklyn or Washington Square location, depending on which is more convenient for them. x NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering will continue to provide those services that are normally provided by a school or discipline (e.g. academic department administration and degree program administration, many graduate student services, discipline-specific activities, etc.). x NYU will provide a suite of university-wide services (e.g. undergraduate admissions, financial aid administration, university life services and programming, financial operations, facilities management, and public safety & security). x Because services have been consolidating since 2008, constituents will have anticipated many of the changes on January 1, 2014. However, in some specific cases, 2013-2014 is still considered a transitional year. For example, Athletics, per the NCAA waiver we sought and received, will not be fully merged until the summer of 2014. In addition, student employment policies and processes will not be fully integrated until the summer of 2014. Our December communications will indicate which services will and will not yet be fully integrated. x In some cases, the person you call or the process you engage in to access a service may change slightly. (For instance, your usual contact for purchasing will change to a contact in a University-level office.) x Resource guides will be made available by each department, as appropriate and necessary, for NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering constituents."

It's pretty apparent you aren't reading these sites carefully. Sharing a library doesn't mean you share all resources the programs offer. This is taken directly from the NYU MS CS FAQ:

Q: What is the difference between the MS in Computer Science offered by NYU Poly and the MS is Computer Science offered by NYU Graduate School of Arts and Sciences?

These are two different degree programs. One is offered through the NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering in Brooklyn, New York and the other is through the Department of Computer Science at that Washington Square campus at NYU. You apply for admissions separately, and their requirements are independent of each other.

You can review the NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering program at the link below: 

NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering Program

In the original post you made which I responded to you state "The degree reads NYU not NYU Poly". This is wrong, it will still say NYU Poly. So you're wrong... so wrong (as you would put it, especially given that you just proved yourself wrong when you responded to my post). Regardless you yourself can believe whatever you want, but you shouldn't be posting mis-information on the boards.

Edited by msgrad123