Applying for 2010 - Language Woes

aquiles

Student Profile:

Graduated from 1st tier university in 2009

GPA 3.7 cumulative, 3.75 history

Phi Beta Kappa

Very strong LORS, Writing Sample, and Personal Statement

GRE - 770 Verbal, 700 Math, 6 AWA

Languages - Spanish (8 years & was my second major as undergrad), Latin (four courses/semesters worth on transcript), French (three courses/semesters worth on transcript)

2 Research Projects using primary and secondary sources already completed - one for McNair Scholars Baccalaureate Program and another for a graduate research seminar on the topic for which I'm applying, which I'm using as my writing sample.

...Applying to a slew of 1st tier graduate schools for fall of 2010...

But there's one problem, and I'm worrying that it might be a biggie...

I only have three semesters of French, and French is going to be the primary language for research purposes (17-18th century Enlightenment Studies & Intellectual History). In my personal statement, I list the fact that for the coming year I'm going to be living and working in France in order to improve my French.

Basically, what I want to know is: Will the admissions committee take into account the fact that romance languages build on top of each other (I've studied latin and am fluent in Spanish, making French come much more quickly and easier) and that I'll end up being fluent just via immersion by the time I enroll, or would they really throw out my application in one of the early round cuts just because I technically only have three semesters of formal study on my transcript at the time of application?

Is there anything more I can do for the admissions committees than let them know I'm gonna be living and working in France for the coming year, such as getting a recommendation letter from an employer in France during the fall application season or something like that?

I'd include the year in France on your application, whether in your CV, statement of purpose, or (as some schools require) in your statement of language proficiencies. I'd also discuss the situation with your potential supervisor.

It's hard to see it being the deal-breaker; schools I've looked say that they will just expect you to take more language courses if you can't pass a basic translation test.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be well that they don't have anything to say. No news is good news as they say. If they didn't think your French was up to par, they'd say something. Professors are generally helpful like that. The sense that I'm getting is that you just NEED to be able to pass the reading exam unless the professor has ridiculously high expectations due to his bloated ego.

Relax, let it go if these profs aren't saying anything. Besides, one year in France will pretty much make one fluent in French if you're devoted enough to the language (say as opposed to longer periods of time for more difficult languages).

ticklemepink -

That's what I'm hoping. Thanks for the reassurance! I just worry sometimes that the adcommittees are so overwhelmed with applications that they'd throw aside some of them for arbitrary reasons but I'm probably giving them too little credit.