University List By CS Research Topics

ConfusedBird

What do you mean? List all the schools that have professor working in specific areas?

I don't think there is such list. When I applied, I first find the list of top 40 university (in computer science area) and then read their website one by one.

I then made myself a list in excell to record the schools and the professors who works in my intersted area.

You can als try google. My interested area is algorithmic game theory, and I googled " cmu algorithmic game theory"  and some names will appear. But this method will not find all the possible POI, you still need to read the faculty list.

I don't think there is such a list. And even if there were I don't think you should rely on it. Searching for universities and professors is part of the application process. You learn so much about schools, their programs and, more importantly, yourself during this process. I started in summer for the fall applications and made a list of schools and professors in my field. I learnt a lot about my own interests while going through the web pages of hundreds of professors. This helped me write better SOPs and determine better matches. I shortlisted about 20 universities by August and further narrowed down the list to 15 by September. I finally applied to 8 universities. But these were the 8 universities which were the perfect fit.

Presumably if you are interested in a specific area, you have research experience in it, and thus you know at least one person working in that area (most likely your undergrad research advisor). He or she will be best positioned to give advice on which schools are good.

Most rankings are (1) outdated, (2) do not reflect strengths across different areas within CS. This is especially the case within top 20 schools.

Presumably if you are interested in a specific area, you have research experience in it, and thus you know at least one person working in that area (most likely your undergrad research advisor). He or she will be best positioned to give advice on which schools are good.

Most rankings are (1) outdated, (2) do not reflect strengths across different areas within CS. This is especially the case within top 20 schools.

Not necessarily; my undergrad research was crypto but I switched. 

I did chat with one of my undergrad professors and he gave me a list of faculty at different schools I had some basic interest in that would be worth looking into.

If you don't have such a contact, you can always post here with specifics and people can list off places/faculty relevant to you.  

Here is something that is similar to what you're asking for: http://cs.brown.edu/people/alexpap/faculty_dataset.html

One of the links there has a spreadsheet of 2195 professors. Associated with each name is the professor's current

institution and his or her subfield. Furthermore, each name has a link to a website where you should be able to

obtain more information about that professor's research.