Does taking three courses in the semester come off as bad for Grad School?

scientist410

Hello,

I wanted some advice on how to approach my next year. I was planning to take four courses with the fourth course being my option. However I recently learned that my option choices have been restricted to first-years only and I'm unable to find any options that will satisfy me (I don't want to invest money into a class that will bore me out my mind to pass a requirement that can be put off for the time being). So the way I see it here are my options:

1) Take only the three science class (Molecular Genetics, Microbial Physiology and Metabolism & Basic Nucleic Acid Biochemistry). The last one, the Metabolism course I hear is a real killer and with my original plan my option would have been an online terminology class (which is very easy which is why I think there would have been a balance).

2) Take the four recommended major stream courses (so the three science classes above plus Virology). I mean I guess this would be the recommended course of action anyways from the school. The only thing is  I'm also currently taking four heavy science courses no options (Organic Chemistry II, Intro to Cell Bio, Intro to Microbiology, Intro to Biochemistry). It's hard and makes life hellish at times but I'm getting through it (I think...). The reputation of the Metabolism class is what scares me into taking four science courses this time around.

3) I would take the option in the Spring semester (assuming it could rationalize taking the 3 courses in the Fall).

Now on top of all this is of course the grades. I have average grades (pulling ~3.14, even then I'm pretty sure that's below average for Second Year Science). I want to get into Grad School so I really need to focus these last 3 or so years (taking five years to finish my degree) to pull up my grades enough to get into a good grad school (the dream is McGill but it all depends). So being able to streamline my courses into three sciences per semester plus the option requirement would be great but I'm worried about people looking at my transcript when I start applying to Grad Schools thinking I'm lazy for only taking 3 science courses per semester through the remainder of my degree.

Help please!

Edit: I thought I should mention I only have 2 Elective arts options to finish my degree plus 2 Geo courses which is what my fifth year is for.

Edited by scientist410

I don't think anyone will look that closely at your transcript.  Just the GPA and pre-req courses for the program.

I took three courses most semesters of my undergrad at a US school. I can't imagine someone seeing three courses in a semester as being "lazy" so long as you maintain a full-time course load. I do agree though that you should strive to raise your GPA.  And if you plan to apply to research-based grad programs, you should consider getting research experience in a lab.  You can also check if your school will grant course units and grades for your undergrad research.

No, the grad schools don't care whether you take courses in the summer or other terms. Also, taking only 3 courses per term near the end is not a big deal either, especially if you do something else with the time. For example, if you are able to do research projects during your final years (or an honours thesis), that will go a very long way towards making you a better applicant for grad school!