Why would prof grade this way

kathy2015123

I had asked prof if he could grade my essay earlier due to school reasons. He then gave a 80%....but also said it might be 82% depending on other students' essays. Why would prof grade this way? Everyone can choose own essay topics.....we didn't have to choose from list.

This is far too vague for us to give you useful answers.

I can only guess, but when grading I may sometimes decide not to take off points for a mistake that repeats across a large proportion of the students in the class. Like, if a lot of people misunderstood what a question was asking for, or had a different definition for some term than I was expecting. If it happens very often, I may decide it's a legitimate confusion and not something points should be deducted for. For an essay, if I find that a lot of students did something that deviates from my expectation in some way, e.g. in style or structure, I may lean towards not penalizing it. It's hard to guess what your professor has in mind here--maybe there is a particular issue that cost you 2 points that he is already seeing in some other papers and so he may end up not deducting points for. This is only a guess, though. I'd suggest asking him. 

When I grade papers as a GTA, I always make sure I grade evenly. I have had to go back and credit the first few papers after realizing I was grading less harshly at the end to make sure it was an even grading distribution. All the profs I've talked to about grading (and I have several times asked random profs who teach the subject I'm IOR for how they would grade something) have said they do the same.

Same here, when I grade, sometimes I have to go back to earlier papers and adjust their grades based on how the entire class performed on the assignment in order to make sure everyone is graded fairly.