Help Choose: NCSU vs Utah

ParsleyX

I'm coming from a STEM field (math/physics) with somewhat basic programming experience (C/python/matlab).   I am interested in scientific computing and visualization, and am not necessarily looking to become a professor. I've visited both NCSU and Utah and am torn about which one to choose!

Utah

Pro: dedicated Scientific Computing Institute, Beautiful location, friendly faculty, 

Cons:  Other side of the country from me, geographically isolated, wasn't especially clear on the corporate connections.

NCSU

Pro: staggering industry connections, slower lifestyle, apparent work/life balance, "normal" students

Cons: not sure about who I would work with

Both schools have offered me first-year fellowships and the financial awards are roughly the same. NCSU still requires me to TA, whereas Utah does not.  Anyone have any insight?  I almost feel like I'm down to flipping a coin.

I'm coming from a STEM field (math/physics) with somewhat basic programming experience (C/python/matlab).   I am interested in scientific computing and visualization, and am not necessarily looking to become a professor. I've visited both NCSU and Utah and am torn about which one to choose!

Utah

Pro: dedicated Scientific Computing Institute, Beautiful location, friendly faculty, 

Cons:  Other side of the country from me, geographically isolated, wasn't especially clear on the corporate connections.

NCSU

Pro: staggering industry connections, slower lifestyle, apparent work/life balance, "normal" students

Cons: not sure about who I would work with

Both schools have offered me first-year fellowships and the financial awards are roughly the same. NCSU still requires me to TA, whereas Utah does not.  Anyone have any insight?  I almost feel like I'm down to flipping a coin.

Not sure where you came up with NCSU having a "slower lifestyle" but you do know that SAS was created by an NCSU graduate, right?  Raleigh is in the heart of the Triangle/Research Triangle area and there's a TON of computer success here.  Raleigh is also the #4 "best city to live" in America (they will make sure you know that, lol). 

NCSU is nice because the research triangle + Duke / UNC are close by. Because of this Raleigh has some good industry around it.

Salt Lake City is no slouch either though (and as you said, beautiful) and has some good industry there. I visited SLC once and had a pretty good time (if you like winter sports, they definitely have it there).

I know you aren't looking to be a professor, but if it is a possible path for you I don't see TAing as a negative as it will give you good teaching experience. I'm sure you could TA at Utah too if you wanted.

I'm still waiting on some results for a few schools, but if these are my only accepts I think I am in the same boat as you for MSCS (Utah vs NCSU). I think what gives NCSU the edge for me is the fact that when I want to continue on to a PhD, if I can't continue on at NCSU (for whatever reason) there are 2 other great schools right there that wouldn't require another big move.

I guess you need to look at your pros and weigh which ones are more important. Is "staggering industry connections" number 1 on your list of pros? Is a "beautiful location" really all that important when you spend your time in a lab staring at a computer screen? I think all pros aren't created equal, so you should analyze which pros are going to give you the best experience.

Not sure where you came up with NCSU having a "slower lifestyle" but you do know that SAS was created by an NCSU graduate, right?  Raleigh is in the heart of the Triangle/Research Triangle area and there's a TON of computer success here.  Raleigh is also the #4 "best city to live" in America (they will make sure you know that, lol). 

I was told that by numerous people while in Raleigh, and it's the "south", so I figured it was true.  I did not know that about SAS.  

Sounds like you are recommending NCSU over Utah?

NCSU is nice because the research triangle + Duke / UNC are close by. Because of this Raleigh has some good industry around it.

Salt Lake City is no slouch either though (and as you said, beautiful) and has some good industry there. I visited SLC once and had a pretty good time (if you like winter sports, they definitely have it there).

I know you aren't looking to be a professor, but if it is a possible path for you I don't see TAing as a negative as it will give you good teaching experience. I'm sure you could TA at Utah too if you wanted.

I'm still waiting on some results for a few schools, but if these are my only accepts I think I am in the same boat as you for MSCS (Utah vs NCSU). I think what gives NCSU the edge for me is the fact that when I want to continue on to a PhD, if I can't continue on at NCSU (for whatever reason) there are 2 other great schools right there that wouldn't require another big move.

I guess you need to look at your pros and weigh which ones are more important. Is "staggering industry connections" number 1 on your list of pros? Is a "beautiful location" really all that important when you spend your time in a lab staring at a computer screen? I think all pros aren't created equal, so you should analyze which pros are going to give you the best experience.

I'll be coming into the PhD program with a master's degree, so I've had plenty of teaching/TAing experience already.  I would prefer to not need to do that again -- session prep and grading takes a *lot* of time, and the need to mentally switch tracks can break concentration if I'm trying to learn something new.  That's one strike against NCSU.

For Utah, I'm not as interested in outdoorsy stuff as other people.  I'm not a winter sports person.  The most I can see myself doing is hiking and biking, and even then I'm not sure how much I would spare since I'm in a PhD program.

For me, the opportunity to easily land a job (at any stage in the process) is the most important consideration.  I want to use grad school to gain some marketable skills, and I have always wanted to do some more scientific \ computational coding.  I have zero application development experience, so I'm not sure if that shuts me out at the graduate level.  I get the sense that NCSU would be more... supportive? of bringing a student up to speed, but I'm not sure if that's totally accurate.

I was told that by numerous people while in Raleigh, and it's the "south", so I figured it was true.  I did not know that about SAS.  

Sounds like you are recommending NCSU over Utah?

I don't at all think that Raleigh has a slow lifestyle. I am from the south. It is pretty divided depending on whether you are in a larger city or country. In places like Raleigh and Charlotte, the population is going to be made up of people from all over the country/world who relocated for job opportunities. Basically, the culture will be similar to any other city outside of the south. If you drive for an hour in any direction then you will hit cotton and corn fields. Many people in these areas have lived there their whole lives.  These are the sort of areas that fit into the southern stereotypes.

Edited by bsharpe269

For Utah, I'm not as interested in outdoorsy stuff as other people.  I'm not a winter sports person.  The most I can see myself doing is hiking and biking, and even then I'm not sure how much I would spare since I'm in a PhD program.

For me, the opportunity to easily land a job (at any stage in the process) is the most important consideration.  I want to use grad school to gain some marketable skills, and I have always wanted to do some more scientific \ computational coding.  I have zero application development experience, so I'm not sure if that shuts me out at the graduate level.  I get the sense that NCSU would be more... supportive? of bringing a student up to speed, but I'm not sure if that's totally accurate.

Utah has a lot of good places to hike like The Narrows in Zion National Park.

But since landing a job is number 1, I think the research triangle probably gives a little more opportunity than SLC does.

I don't at all think that Raleigh has a slow lifestyle. I am from the south. It is pretty divided depending on whether you are in a larger city or country. In places like Raleigh and Charlotte, the population is going to be made up of people from all over the country/world who relocated for job opportunities. Basically, the culture will be similar to any other city outside of the south. If you drive for an hour in any direction then you will hit cotton and corn fields. Many people in these areas have lived there their whole lives. These are the sort of areas that fit into the southern stereotypes.

I agree with this poster. Raleigh's demographics are a lot like any other big city. A lot of young professionals and people who moved to NC from somewhere else. I swear I meet more Midwesterners in NC than I do back home. The suburbs are pretty mixed, too. They joke that Cary stands for "containment area for relocated Yankees", but it's a very nice town. The big cities are fast paced hubs and the rest of NC is very rural. Everything is convenient, though. You can go to the beach/ocean or go skiing in the same day.

I do not know much about NCSU's Computer Science program but a quick search reveals that they have multiple professors in the field of Scientific Computing: http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/research/areas.php. It would behoove you to search for a fit within the department. In regards to NCSU not having industry connections, another such search reveals: http://students.engr.ncsu.edu/careerfair/participating-companies. As someone else mentioned, SAS was created by a PhD student at NCSU.

Edited by Type