University of Wisconsin Madison 2015

reformedlearner

My wife and I are heading to Madison from NYC this summer!  We are so excited.  I am doing a joint PhD with History and Education.  Good luck to all.  I am visiting in a week to get a sense of the town.  Any recommendations on neighborhoods or apartment finding?

I will be attending for a PhD in Spanish and Portuguese literature this fall  :) 

About housing, I recommend everyone to check this thread, there are very interesting tips!:

Edited by Macabea

I'm heading to Madison in August for an M.S. in speech-language pathology! My first time in Madison was two weeks ago for the program's open house, and I absolutely fell in love.

Me! I'll be moving from California to do the Profesional French Master's Program  :)

Hi everyone! I'm moving to Madison in the fall for the Professional French Masters Program and I am SO excited to be a Badger! I've heard great things about Madison. 

Bonjour!

I won't be studying French at Madison, but I'm going to live at la Maison Française. Are either of you familiar with it? Their website is uwfrenchhouse.org if you want to check it out. It's a language immersion residence/restaurant where Madison French speakers congregate, so I imagine I might meet you two there at some point! 

Madison seems to have a really strong French community, which a huge plus for me -- I want to keep/improve my French, which would usually be pretty tough during grad school. Oh, and the French House sells these great t-shirts. (Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know!)

ouisconsint-shirt1.jpg

Bonjour!

I won't be studying French at Madison, but I'm going to live at la Maison Française. Are either of you familiar with it? Their website is uwfrenchhouse.org if you want to check it out. It's a language immersion residence/restaurant where Madison French speakers congregate, so I imagine I might meet you two there at some point! 

Madison seems to have a really strong French community, which a huge plus for me -- I want to keep/improve my French, which would usually be pretty tough during grad school. Oh, and the French House sells these great t-shirts. (Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know!)

ouisconsint-shirt1.jpg

Oh, I love the shirt! Do you know if la Maison française offers open activities to non-residents? I'm interested in language exchange places (bar, café...) but I know nothing about this in Madison. 

Edited by Macabea

Bonjour!

ouisconsint-shirt1.jpg

Salut! I absolutely NEED that shirt in my life, thank you for sharing. I have heard great things about the Francophone community in Madison, which is a big part of why I decided to come here. I've been teaching in France this past year, so it will be nice to be able to keep up using my French outside of an academic setting. I've already secured housing through a friend that's in Madison, but I'm definitely planning on coming by La Maison Française. 

Oh, I love the shirt! Do you know if la Maison française offers open activities to non-residents? I'm interested in language exchange places (bar, café...) but I know nothing about this in Madison. 

Yes, they do! It looks like students can have lunch there Monday-Friday ($5) and Wednesday dinners/Friday lunches are open to the public, plus they hold a lot of open events. La Maison also runs a blog about French films, concerts, etc. happening in Madison, and it looks like there are several French tables throughout the week. 

For me, coming from Kansas where hardly anyone speaks French, the Madison francophone community seems almost too good to be true!

Switching topics - I've heard great things about Madison in the summer, but I won't be moving up there until late August/early September. I'm kind of bummed :/

I'll be attending in the Fall for a Materials Science Ph.D. if I don't get taken off Northwestern's waitlist (very unlikely). But i am really excited to go here, the city is amazing, I loved it when I visited in March and I've already been looking at apartments on the isthmus. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I was just accepted to the PhD in Management program at Madison and couldn't be more excited! I am apartment hunting now - I work overseas and won't be stateside again until August, so from what I understand I have to sign a lease remotely just to make sure I have a place to live.

I'm looking for decent one bedrooms for me and my wife. I've read some of the advice and appreciate it, I've also sent some mails to current students. One thing I'm curious about is the public transport. I'll have a car hopefully but when one of us has it can the other get around on local public transport?

Also - any companies you recommend to rent from/not rent from? Many thanks all!

Hi All

I was just accepted to the PhD in Management program at Madison and couldn't be more excited! I am apartment hunting now - I work overseas and won't be stateside again until August, so from what I understand I have to sign a lease remotely just to make sure I have a place to live.

I'm looking for decent one bedrooms for me and my wife. I've read some of the advice and appreciate it, I've also sent some mails to current students. One thing I'm curious about is the public transport. I'll have a car hopefully but when one of us has it can the other get around on local public transport?

Also - any companies you recommend to rent from/not rent from? Many thanks all!

Public transit is pretty good as long as you're not too far out, plus students get a free bus pass.  It's doable.  Madison is also a very bike friendly city so that's another great way to get around. 

As far as companies not to rent from I had a place from Randall Park Apartments (who is a offshoot of Colonial Property Management) and I would not recommend them.  Looking at online reviews I would say I was not alone in having a negative experience. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bonjour!

ouisconsint-shirt1.jpg

A little late, but thank you for the information! I actually did know abut la Maison Française and am happy to say that I will be living there next year!

• 2 weeks later...

A little late, but thank you for the information! I actually did know abut la Maison Française and am happy to say that I will be living there next year!

That's great! It's good to hear from another grad student who'll be living there. When are you moving in, do you know?

I wish there was a Facebook group or something for the residents to get introduced, but I haven't found anything like that from previous years.