GRE Chemistry subject test

winterwind

• 3 weeks later...

The programs I'm looking at require the chemistry GRE, but also accept biochemistry or physics.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to continue in physics after my MS. But should I risk taking the Chem GRE, even though I didn't see organic in several years, or should I play it safe and take physics and risk limiting the range of schools I can apply to?

The programs I'm looking at require the chemistry GRE, but also accept biochemistry or physics.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to continue in physics after my MS. But should I risk taking the Chem GRE, even though I didn't see organic in several years, or should I play it safe and take physics and risk limiting the range of schools I can apply to?

Consider the fact that ochem weights about 30% of the CHEM GRE, I would play it safe and take physics, which should be more comfortable for you. Bottom line is that if you have a good score in physics GRE - it won't hurt your application, but if you have a bad score in chem GRE (sub 50%, and the school(s) requires it), then that might be a problem.

it's definitely worth noting that the physics GRE is MUCH more difficult than the chem test, and weighed much more heavily for physics grad programs. so, unless you are an absolute stud in physics, i wouldn't count on your score being too high since the others taking the test will prepare much more rigorously (in general) than those taking the chem test.

just my two cents...

it's definitely worth noting that the physics GRE is MUCH more difficult than the chem test, and weighed much more heavily for physics grad programs. so, unless you are an absolute stud in physics, i wouldn't count on your score being too high since the others taking the test will prepare much more rigorously (in general) than those taking the chem test.

just my two cents...

I'm planning on applying to physical chemistry/chemical physics programs that accept physics GRE results, would their requirements be less rigorous than for straight physics departments? I heard that interdisciplinary programs usually are less rigorous in this regard since people have varying backgrounds; I remember TakeruK saying that Caltech Planetary and Earth Sciences has much lower physics GRE requirements than the actual physics program. No formal evidence though.

i can't say for sure. but if you're not expecting to do well, i think they'd care less about a subpar chem score. i wouldn't take the physics test unless i knew i was going to have a strong showing. the chem test isn't too bad, and i know most departments don't care too much about it. if i were you, i'd get a practice book and brush up on orgo (general IUPAC naming, nucleophilic attack on carbonyls, sn1 vs sn2, and some aromatic substitutions are the most common questions i believe).

are you really that uncomfortable with chemistry? hopefully someone who's doing pchem has some personal experience and can give better advice but eventually you're going to need to just register for a test and move on to the more important parts of the application haha

i can't say for sure. but if you're not expecting to do well, i think they'd care less about a subpar chem score. i wouldn't take the physics test unless i knew i was going to have a strong showing. the chem test isn't too bad, and i know most departments don't care too much about it. if i were you, i'd get a practice book and brush up on orgo (general IUPAC naming, nucleophilic attack on carbonyls, sn1 vs sn2, and some aromatic substitutions are the most common questions i believe).

are you really that uncomfortable with chemistry? hopefully someone who's doing pchem has some personal experience and can give better advice but eventually you're going to need to just register for a test and move on to the more important parts of the application haha

Thank you for the advice.

I have exams from 1982, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2006. Do you want me to upload them?

Has anybody received a message from this user? I would really appreciate some old practice tests :). I've been searching around online but I can't find anything more than what has been posted here already.

Has anybody received a message from this user? I would really appreciate some old practice tests :). I've been searching around online but I can't find anything more than what has been posted here already.

I would gladly pay for this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

I am planning to take Chem GRE this Nov 2012 and I cannot find the test from 1995. Can someone please post it or email it to me?I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance:)

• 8 months later...

For the benefit of anyone wonder, I used the Princeton book. Other than the general GRE a couple of weeks before, I'd never done an American-style test before, and was not used to it at all. I still got (tbh) a very good mark on it.

You definitely need a book, because it's a stupid exam that tests your book-learning rather than your chemistry skills. I would recommend that one. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...
On 7/25/2012 at 10:14 AM, Li-S said:

I have exams from 1982, 1990, 1995, 2000, 2006. Do you want me to upload them?

Can you please send me the papers.....I am not finding them on the internet. I will take the GRE chemistry test in Nov this year. Please email them to me at : sahasandipan004@gmail.com

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, bestwork1989 said:

hi 

you are talking about prepare books for test

try both of  Princeton Review and REA for the practice tests .

RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

-------------------

• 7 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 7:23 AM, bestwork1989 said:

hi 

you are talking about prepare books for test

try both of  Princeton Review and REA for the practice tests .

Thank you for practice tests.

RX Marine was established in 1996 in Mumbai, India; as chemical manufacturing company catering exclusively to the needs of the marine industry. In a short span of 12 years the company has established itself as one of the leading wholesale suppliers of a wide range of chemicals for - Marine industry internationally - and other local industires and plants. Our client list bears testimony to this. The RXSOL policy has its foundations on two pillars of strength - a continuous investment in research and development to deliver premium quality products and a commitment to service.

Degreaser