Cornell University - Fall 2015

Merlin

Hi everyone -- I'm heading to Cornell too! 

I'm definitely a little concerned about hunting for housing long distance. Is anyone going to Ithaca to check out places in person?

Hi everyone -- I'm heading to Cornell too! 

I'm definitely a little concerned about hunting for housing long distance. Is anyone going to Ithaca to check out places in person?

did you apply for on campus accommodation? I also have difficulties hunting for houses too long distance. What places are you looking at?

did you apply for on campus accommodation? I also have difficulties hunting for houses too long distance. What places are you looking at?

No, I would much rather get a place off campus. On campus housing is never a good option from my knowledge/experience. Hoping to look online this weekend for places! You?

No, I would much rather get a place off campus. On campus housing is never a good option from my knowledge/experience. Hoping to look online this weekend for places! You?

Yea I was assigned a room on campus, but I don't think I want to live there. It's far from school and pretty isolated. I started looking for places too. Maybe we can we can navigate through these murky waters together.

Yea I was assigned a room on campus, but I don't think I want to live there. It's far from school and pretty isolated. I started looking for places too. Maybe we can we can navigate through these murky waters together.

Sure! I've heard bad things about Cornell's on campus housing from current students, which is why I didn't apply there. It's crazy how fast and early apartments seem to go there!

Sure! I've heard bad things about Cornell's on campus housing from current students, which is why I didn't apply there. It's crazy how fast and early apartments seem to go there!

Chiming in here: Ithaca seems to operate on a rental schedule that's pretty much mandated by the school year. I was lucky and managed to find a place in early April when I went to visit...but it seemed that either the housing market was just getting started, or had just begun dying down.

Just from my own experiences in the past few months looking for a place--you'll have better luck finding something if you have a car and don't mind commuting into town. There were a lot of (well priced) places to rent just out side of the town, but they're pretty remote in terms of commuting. Otherwise, keep an eye on prices: 1 bedrooms in some areas can get as high as 2 bedrooms in others, so you may be able to expand your search if you're willing to spend the money/the extra room is beneficial...

(Caveat: I've never lived in Ithaca. This was just from the whole apartment hunting mess I experienced earlier this month)

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think that I have a chance of finding a room on the week prior to the beginning of the classes ? I won't be in the US until then, and I hope that there will still be something available.

Hi everyone,

Random question about the winter break at Cornell -- are grad students expected generally to return before the rest of the university? Or is it typical for most people to vanish mid-December and reappear when classes resume in late Jan? The 3 week winter session has me a bit thrown off and winter breaks that long just aren't a thing in Canada, so I'm trying to plan ahead (it's a bit early, I know, but I may try to plan a trip somewhere warm...).

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Random question about the winter break at Cornell -- are grad students expected generally to return before the rest of the university? Or is it typical for most people to vanish mid-December and reappear when classes resume in late Jan? The 3 week winter session has me a bit thrown off and winter breaks that long just aren't a thing in Canada, so I'm trying to plan ahead (it's a bit early, I know, but I may try to plan a trip somewhere warm...).

Thanks!

It seems like this depends on the department. I asked some current students, and even within my department, some professors/students leave for a large part of the break, and some come in during the break (except for the Christmas/New Years week) and expect you to work as well. Guess we'll find out soon -- but I'm already planning a trip somewhere warm during the break too!