University of Iowa Fall of 2015

Heimat Historian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually, I'm kind of busy with the US visa thing. I gotta say, it's a bit of a pain in the ass. Did ask some of my to-be colleagues about housing in Coralville and Uni Heights. Reviews are generally positive. After the visa people are done, I will go about this housing thing with a bit more vigor. 

How about you? You mentioned in another thread you were going to take a trip over there...

I hope so too. I'm very excited to start my Master's in Iowa City!

No matter how cold it gets there, and how much it snows, I will just remind myself of the Indian summer this year. You would not believe the heat here. 112 degrees! You can actually put out a plate in the sun, crack an egg on it after fifteen minutes, and have yourself an omelette. I'm going to vid and youtube that. 

Anyway, end of rant about the heat wave.

Also, they approved my visa, should be getting my passport back soon. 

I don't have any winter gear, though. Hoping to buy it in Iowa City. 

While not quite as hot as India,  I'm from Texas where we get into multiple 100 degree days for a long time (June through August typically).  I'm looking forward to some cooler weather.  Congratulations on your visa.  

Thanks! 

I'm seriously wondering why there's nobody else here. It's a big university, and gradcafe isn't exactly a niche forum. Maybe we'll see more people as we approach August and folks remember that they should look into housing and such :P

Meanwhile, since I can't go to Iowa, maybe university housing won't be too bad to have. I hope to spend a lot of time at the library or the lab anyway, so my only requirement is a bed to sleep in and a kitchen to make sandwiches & coffee. If it's really very detestable, there is always next semester to move out. Can't have everything! 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm going into my second year of my PhD at Iowa. I don't have too much unique advice because I found my place from getting an email from people already in my program (Psychology), saying they were moving into a place and needed another roommate. 

However, one housing company I would try to avoid (they do own a ton of places here) is Apartments Downtown. I haven't heard good things, and they were just found liable for having illegal leases.

http://www.dailyiowanmedia.com/live/2015/07/08/district-judge-rules-against-apartments-downtown/

I live on the North Side, which is a quieter area with fewer undergrads, and more grad students and families, which has been nice.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Arspring,

The fall has been fantastic! Beautiful weather.  We did have some snow right before Thanksgiving, but we haven't gotten any since.  They cleared off the streets before 6:00AM so driving was not an issue.  It has been somewhat rainy.  The city itself is beautiful and there are lots of things to do both at the University and in the surrounding areas.  Even better, the city is quite walkable.  I also moved from a place with mild winters (Texas) and so far I've really enjoyed the change.  Let me know if you have other questions.