MA in Security Studies: Georgetown, GW, or American?

Smhazy

Hey all, 

I would love to get your opinions about which institution you would recommend for pursuing a MA in Security Studies. All are great schools, but one of my main concerns is the cost of attendance. Without any funding offered from any of these institutions, I am trying to decide what my best option is. I would just accept at Georgetown as they are ranked number one, but I am not sure if it is worth it to get my MA from Georgetown if I am going to be going at least $100,000 in debt. I could go to GW or American, both similarly ranked, work during the day, take classes at night, and save a lot of money. Therefore I am thinking that GW or American may be the better option.

So major question is: Is it worth the immense debt I would take on to go to Georgetown or would attending GW or American be better financially as I would be getting a degree from an institution ranked in the top 10 regardless?

From what I have gathered, there are plentiful opportunities at all of the schools you listed; you might just have to put in a little more effort to find them. 

Make a spreadsheet with your total estimated expenses, find out exactly what the price differences are, then try to figure out how you plan on paying all of it back. It's easy to say, "oh, I'm already borrowing a bunch of money, I might as well go all the way," when in reality, something like $20k is a huge difference.

Edit: check out this thread where there's a similar discussion -  

Edited by NotLostWanderer