Is this a good j-school resume so far?

kaiphi

So far, as a sophomore at UMBC, I have: 
- one reporting internship for a local newspaper that I'm currently in 
- one contributing writer position to an independent arts magazine (small start-up) 
- one staff writer position with the campus paper, promoted last week
- three references, two from reporters from international companies 
- proficiency in French (I hope to go into int'l journalism eventually, specializing in francophone countries) 

About the references:

- One is from the faculty advisor for the campus paper: I'm low-key one of the star writers for the campus newspaper; last week they wrote "Go [my name]!" on the board during a meeting. Only been on the paper for three months now!

- One is from my editor with the local newspaper; since it's real journalism I'm learning a lot and still making mistakes, but he says I'm doing great for someone my age. Currently working on a long-term investigative piece; we'll see how that goes.

- One is just from the editor-in-chief from the arts magazine.

I'm hoping the list will grow as I take more journalism courses at UMBC and pick up more internships. I have some references on the back-burner from English professors and campus paper editors who can attest to my writing skills.

My plan for the next two years: 
- editing position at the campus newspaper 
- research fellowship with a start-up website based in DC this summer; it'd be a paid editorial writing position. They're currently overlooking applications; I hope I get in.
- paid internship with the City Paper 
- my uni's journalism award; it's a small scholarship prize they give to a student for outstanding journalistic work and I think I'm a shoo-in next semester if not this one! 
- fluency in French 
- one prestigious journalism internship with either the WaPo or HuffPost; both very hard to get into but I think I'm on the right track?? 

That's all I have so far, but I have no idea what more I need to do to get into my dream school. 
I want to go Columbia's j-school because it's one of the best; a degree from there is my best chance at the New York Times. 

What else should I be working on? I've heard that experience is your best friend as a journalism student (don't worry, I'm not majoring in Journalism) but I feel like in order to get to the better positions you need more, y'know?

• 2 weeks later...

- one contributing writer position to an independent arts magazine (small start-up) 

- proficiency in French (I hope to go into int'l journalism eventually, specializing in francophone countries) 

About the references:

- One is from the faculty advisor for the campus paper: I'm low-key one of the star writers for the campus newspaper; last week they wrote "Go [my name]!" on the board during a meeting. Only been on the paper for three months now!

- One is from my editor with the local newspaper; since it's real journalism I'm learning a lot and still making mistakes, but he says I'm doing great for someone my age. Currently working on a long-term investigative piece; we'll see how that goes.

I'm hoping the list will grow as I take more journalism courses at UMBC and pick up more internships. I have some references on the back-burner from English professors and campus paper editors who can attest to my writing skills.

- research fellowship with a start-up website based in DC this summer; it'd be a paid editorial writing position. They're currently overlooking applications; I hope I get in.

- my uni's journalism award; it's a small scholarship prize they give to a student for outstanding journalistic work and I think I'm a shoo-in next semester if not this one! 

- fluency in French 

- one prestigious journalism internship with either the WaPo or HuffPost; both very hard to get into but I think I'm on the right track?? 

That's all I have so far, but I have no idea what more I need to do to get into my dream school. 

I want to go Columbia's j-school because it's one of the best; a degree from there is my best chance at the New York Times. 

What else should I be working on? I've heard that experience is your best friend as a journalism student (don't worry, I'm not majoring in Journalism) but I feel like in order to get to the better positions you need more, y'know?

wow! really impressive resume! I have just returned to school and am working on building a journalism school resume. good luck! 

• 4 months later...

About the references:

- fluency in French 

Update:

I got the City Paper internship and the editing position at my campus paper :)

Also, I've published essays with bigger magazines and Vice just accepted my pitch for an exposé!!

Now I'm looking into DC internships for my senior year, and I'm really gunning for that journalism award. 

Where do I go from here?