Applying for the next cycle

AuD2B9105

Hi!

I'm currently a junior CSD major and recently made the switch from wanting to go into speech pathology to instead pursue audiology. How much more competitive is it to get into an audiology program? Also I was hoping that someone could tell me if my numbers are competitive enough for the schools I'm planning to apply to? I plan to apply to Northwestern, Rush, UIUC, Wisconsin Consortium, NOAC, Pitt, and OSU. Right now my number one is NOAC. Currently I have a 3.73 GPA and GRE scores of Q 155 V 162 and AW 4. I also have research experience and have been first author on two conference posters but I'm not sure I will be a competitive applicant. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

OhioAUD9105

OhioAUD9105,

I would definitely say you sound like an extremely competitive applicant. I was accepted to NOAC and Pitt and waitlisted to OSU this year. My GRE scores are lower than yours and I do not have any research experience. My GPA is pretty high (3.9 cumulative as a CSD major) and I had really good letters of rec and personal statement. I would advise you to choose people for your letters of rec that you have formed a relationship with. I know many of my peers just asked professors that they have taken a couple classes with but were just one in the crowd and unfortunately that hurt them. Also make sure your personal statement stands out. From the advice that I got, the admissions committee really wants to see you have a personal connection with the field and not just talk about your accomplishments. 

Hope this helps! Good luck next year! 

I would say that you are a competitive applicant! I was accepted by NOAC, Wisconsin, and Pitt and waitlisted at OSU this application cycle.  My GPA is around a 3.7 and my GRE scores were a little lower than yours.  I have research experience and experience working with and volunteering with children that are both typically and atypically developing.  I had a strong personal statement and strong letters of recommendation.  My advice is to make sure you tailor your personal statements to the schools that you are applying to.  Some people don't do this, but I think its a good idea because it really shows that you've done your research on the program and that you are truly interested in the program.

Good luck next fall! If you have any questions feel free to send me a message!

Were all of your GPA's from undergrad only? I'm currently a post-bacc student and looking to switch into Audiology from SLP too, so I'm wondering if these schools look mostly at my post-bacc GPA rather than my undergrad gpa (non-related major).

Thanks!!

My GPA is undergrad only.  I think most Audiology programs will look at both, but will put more emphasis on your post-bacc.  (I'm not 100% sure about that though)