SSN for international students

I wonder how does one go on about getting a social security number if one will undertake a PhD under a F-1 visa and The SSN is important for a number of things while in the US with a stipend: taxes, liquor/driving licenses, banking and some university functions also.

I realized, when I tried applying for a dorm (not the cheapest option at Minnesota, I know) that I couldn't apply for university housing despite having a student ID number there: it required a SSN.

Unless things have changed, you don't get a SSN as a student on a F-1 visa. However, you also don't need one. You get a ITIN number the first time you do your taxes and that's what you would use for that; you can get a liquor/driving license without the SSN, you just need to fill out some form that says you can't have one; you can open a bank account without the SSN or ITIN (but you may want to try a large bank or one with branches near the university, because smaller ones might not know how to deal with international students). Same goes for university functions, a phone contract, etc. It makes life more difficult, but everything is still possible. If you are dealing with a system that requires a SSN you may have to call or email to ask about your situation. I bet you they'll just tell you to input some fake number to get past that screen.

getting SSN is straight forward. You just need to fill the application form and submit it. Since you may get paid for PhD (stipend), you will need SSN. once you join the program, you can apply immediately. It takes 2 weeks to get the SSN. for phone connection, they use the last 4 digits of passport instead of SSN if the international students don't have SSN card. You can do the same or wait till you get the SSN. Banks don't necessarily need a SSN, passport and visa is sufficient. If some banks ask for it, you can wait till you get the card.

You may or may not get a SSN depending on how your funding is structured / your student status / whether or not you are "employed". Like fuzzy said, if you don't get one, then you will just get a ITIN for tax purposes. 

I had to set a lot of things up prior to getting my SSN. My phone company (TMobile) accepted my DS-2019 (or I-20) in lieu of a SSN. My utilities company will not accept my SSN because it's for "employment purposes only" so I had to put a $300 deposit down to get my electricity connected. They used the last 4 digits of my passport instead, for ID purposes. 

Many places ask for a SSN but they don't actually need one. As said above, usually this means you just have to tell them why you don't have one, and they will tell you to use another number, or have you fill out a special form that indicates you don't have a SSN.

You may or may not get a SSN depending on how your funding is structured / your student status / whether or not you are "employed". 

This. At least at my school, students on a F-1 visa didn't get a SSN for TAships and the like, but they got one if they had some external job (e.g. I was involved in managing our department's small publishing company and was paid for the job, so that allowed me to get a SSN). Regardless, it was possible to do all the necessary arrangements to live in the States without the SSN. See more information here: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10181.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your SSN is for life. If you already have one, you're all set. You don't need to apply for a new one.

Thank you, but I think I need to apply one since I received my SSN with a note with DHS authorization about 6 years ago.

Thank you, but I think I need to apply one since I received my SSN with a note with DHS authorization about 6 years ago.

That only refers to your eligibility to work in the US. The SSN number itself does not change, you have the same one for life. The only reasons it would be replaced is if you were placed in the witness protection program or if you were the victim of identity theft. You may need to re-apply for authorization for work (I don't know, you'll want to ask the international students office at your school) but regardless your SSN number itself won't change.

That only refers to your eligibility to work in the US. The SSN number itself does not change, you have the same one for life. The only reasons it would be replaced is if you were placed in the witness protection program or if you were the victim of identity theft. You may need to re-apply for authorization for work (I don't know, you'll want to ask the international students office at your school) but regardless your SSN number itself won't change.

I think fuzzy is correct. I received my SSN with a note with DHS authorization years ago for the masters; now I'm at a different school doing the PhD. Same SSN. :)

@techboy, I can 100% tell you that you don't need to reapply. You can use same SSN. This applies to even people who lived in other countries for a while and then moved again to US on a different visa.

@techboy, I can 100% tell you that you don't need to reapply. You can use same SSN. This applies to even people who lived in other countries for a while and then moved again to US on a different visa.

Second this. I got a SSN years ago and the DHS note is only for employment (you will need to apply for the employment authorization card from the DHS in order to work). But as for SSN itself, you already have one and don't need to apply to another one.

100% sure.

At this point I will again suggest you reach out to the International Students Office at your school and ask, if you are still concerned. Someone there should have the knowledge and experience to give you an answer, or perhaps someone in HR would know what they need to have from you before they can pay you. That said, I don't think it's something you need to worry about now. it's probably something that can be figured out within a single day once you're there; I would bet it's likely that you can't do this errand remotely, even if you know you need to. It will be easier to find out all the details in person.

This is something you only worry about when you arrive. In order to get my SSN, I needed a letter from the school saying why the SSN is necessary and you only get this once you check in upon arrival.