Funding at Georgetown, NYU, Elliott?

Alex604

Hi all,

I was accepted to Georgetown's Conflict Resolution MA Program, NYU IR, George Washington Elliott School but received no serious financial aid from any of these.  I am wondering if any of you folks who were admitted to these programs received significant scholarship aid, especially from Georgetown? Do you have any specific insights into the funding situation at these schools?

Thanks!

I was admitted to the Elliott School with a pretty generous scholarship that covers about 75% of tuition but did not receive any funding at Georgetown (but I applied to MSFS, not Conflict Resolution). 

As far as I know, Georgetown is pretty stingy about funding for grad students. There is a new policy for MSFS stating that if you do not receive any merit funding as a first-year through the admissions process (and only about 5% of admits do), you will not receive any funding for your second year  :unsure: However, this is only for MSFS - not sure about Conflict Resolution. I would suggest contacting the admissions team or financial aid office and double-checking with them.

I'm not sure what program you applied for at Elliott, but I believe GW is a bit more generous with scholarships/fellowships overall. Plus, they have a wider range of fellowships that incoming/current students can apply for, so it's a bit easier to get second-year funding there, IMO. 

No idea about NYU IR though. 

I was admitted to the Elliott School with a pretty generous scholarship that covers about 75% of tuition but did not receive any funding at Georgetown (but I applied to MSFS, not Conflict Resolution). 

As far as I know, Georgetown is pretty stingy about funding for grad students. There is a new policy for MSFS stating that if you do not receive any merit funding as a first-year through the admissions process (and only about 5% of admits do), you will not receive any funding for your second year  :unsure: However, this is only for MSFS - not sure about Conflict Resolution. I would suggest contacting the admissions team or financial aid office and double-checking with them.

I'm not sure what program you applied for at Elliott, but I believe GW is a bit more generous with scholarships/fellowships overall. Plus, they have a wider range of fellowships that incoming/current students can apply for, so it's a bit easier to get second-year funding there, IMO. 

Where did you get the MSFS stat that only 5% of first year students get merit funding?

Does the funding restriction hold for Security Studies too?

Sorry, I made a typo. I meant 15%, and I saw the stat somewhere a while ago on a student's blog but forgot where... 

The MSFS website says they aim to give funding to about 30-40% of incoming students.

https://msfs.georgetown.edu/admissions/financialaid/students

Thanks for the info, everyone. I cannot fathom the idea of taking out $140,000 in loans to get a Master's degree in a field that is frankly not very lucrative.  As much as I would love to accept the offer from Georgetown this just makes it impossible.  Pretty incredible to me that the vast majority of the Conflict Resolution students seem to be willing to do this. UGH! 

I am probably going to head to SOAS (University of London) where the price tag is very manageable and the program is fairly well reputed so far as I can tell.