2016 Canadian SLP Thread

After viewing websites for both schools, Western has around 9 classes per semester, while UofT has 5. I also confirmed with my friend at UofT and she said she takes 5 courses per semester. ( her semester from sep to  dec) I am not sure if what I'm seeing for western is right, but it seems as though they take 9:
http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/csd/programs/slp/year1.html

Do any of you guys have any idea about this? 9 seems to be a crazy load of courses for one semester !

28 minutes ago, SLP_2016 said:

After viewing websites for both schools, Western has around 9 classes per semester, while UofT has 5. I also confirmed with my friend at UofT and she said she takes 5 courses per semester. ( her semester from sep to  dec) I am not sure if what I'm seeing for western is right, but it seems as though they take 9:
http://www.uwo.ca/fhs/csd/programs/slp/year1.html

Do any of you guys have any idea about this? 9 seems to be a crazy load of courses for one semester !

I looked at this a little while ago, and what I noticed is that they have a few half-semester courses. So instead of running from Sept-Dec, some of them run for Sept-Oct.

For example, Clinical Phonetics and Clinical Transcription of Speech (9611a) runs from September 10 until October 15 (date of final exam). Basically, you'd take 9 different types of courses but some would end halfway through to be replaced by a new course that starts in the middle of October. Also, the Clinical Applications courses look similar to labs and are only worth 0.25 credit.

It looks like these courses run the whole semester:

Anatomy & Physiology
Fluency Disorders
Language Acquisition
Speech Science
(Clinical Applications - labs?)

And these courses run for half the semester:

Clinical Phonetics and Clinical Transcription
Introduction to Professional Practice

This means you have 5 'full-semester' courses along with 3 different labs. Hope that helps!

Decision is finally made, after much contemplation, I will be accepting Western! I hope whoever is on the waitlist on UofT will be hearing soon! Has there been a Facebook group made for Western yet?

15 hours ago, mogibear said:

I looked at this a little while ago, and what I noticed is that they have a few half-semester courses. So instead of running from Sept-Dec, some of them run for Sept-Oct.

For example, Clinical Phonetics and Clinical Transcription of Speech (9611a) runs from September 10 until October 15 (date of final exam). Basically, you'd take 9 different types of courses but some would end halfway through to be replaced by a new course that starts in the middle of October. Also, the Clinical Applications courses look similar to labs and are only worth 0.25 credit.

It looks like these courses run the whole semester:

Anatomy & Physiology
Fluency Disorders
Language Acquisition
Speech Science
(Clinical Applications - labs?)

And these courses run for half the semester:

Clinical Phonetics and Clinical Transcription
Introduction to Professional Practice

This means you have 5 'full-semester' courses along with 3 different labs. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much, this clears up everything very well!

After 2 weeks of indecisiveness, I've chosen Western! I hope that helps someone on UofT's waitlist :)

If anyone else is going to Western, message me and we can be fb friends!

Also, is anyone looking for roommates?? I'm hoping to figure out my housing situation soon!

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 11:22 AM, ssymslp said:

Hi all!

A little late on the draw here but I have also been accepted to Western and I confirmed my acceptance today! So excited!

I did my undergrad at Western so I am excited to be back (went to Brock after graduation for extra schooling, as I am from Niagara - currently completing my CDA Grad Cert in Kingston at St. Lawrence College).

Looking forward to meeting all my fellow classmates and starting this journey! Feel free to give me a shout since I know the school/area.

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:57 PM, SLP_a said:

Hey there! I confirmed my acceptance for Western too! I'm so excited for September!

I'm from Toronto and I don't know very much about London (except that the Western campus is beautiful!). Do you have any advice on housing? Do you have any tips about Western or London?

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 3:01 PM, SLP555 said:

Hey! :)  

I'm not sure if this is way too early :P  but I'm attending Western and will be looking for a quiet and clean roommate!  It would be awesome to room with one of my classmates.  Message me or reply here if you are also interested :) 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, SpeechBubble said:

I've just accepted my offer to Western! Hopefully this helps somebody on the wait-list at UofT. Any other Western speechies on here feel free to PM me and lets start a facebook group or something :) (I'm also a Western undergrad so I can answer some questions about living/campus/etc). 

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:38 AM, SLP_2016 said:

Decision is finally made, after much contemplation, I will be accepting Western! I hope whoever is on the waitlist on UofT will be hearing soon! Has there been a Facebook group made for Western yet?

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 10:57 AM, sfnslp said:

After 2 weeks of indecisiveness, I've chosen Western! I hope that helps someone on UofT's waitlist :)

If anyone else is going to Western, message me and we can be fb friends!

Also, is anyone looking for roommates?? I'm hoping to figure out my housing situation soon!

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 1:16 PM, J Mack said:

Hey guys! I am 99% sure that I will be attending Western instead of the other schools (U of T being one of them) for a few reasons. I am moving from Winnipeg, which is a pretty affordable city to live in and so for my fiancé and I, London seems more similar in terms of cost of living than Toronto. I really like how the class size at Western is 37 rather than 50 at Toronto. Also, getting a call from a faculty member at Western after acceptances went out was really nice and gave me chance to connect with the program on more of a personal level. Friends of mine who are out of grad school just keep telling me to create a simple life for myself during my program so that I am not distracted and can focus easier on school. Coming from Winnipeg, Toronto is a big and busy city! There are coupe of other reasons why I prefer Western like the fact that my fiancé's mother's boyfriend has all of his family in the area and so they will come visit more and also the teaching clinic at Western is a huge plus!

A lot of this is just personal preference and I think that all of the other schools in Canada are great! You just have to decide what is most important to you I suppose :) Good luck!!

A little late to the game... I have also accepted my offer from Western!

4 hours ago, SLP_2016 said:

I accepted my offer yesterday, but my western student centre still doesn't show that I have accepted my offer, is it normal to take this much time ?

I think so; I think I saw someone else say it took about a week to show up on theirs.

Hey guys, I will be going to Western as well, just wondering if anyone is planning on working part time during the program? I have heard it is very difficult to work but I have always worked throughout my undergrad and I"m not willing to not work and accumulate massive debt, anyone else in the same situation?

Hey everybody,

I toured Elborn College at Western yesterday (OMG beautiful campus) and just wanted to pass on some things that Janet told me that might clarify a few things.

Of the 37 applicants that Western admitted first round, 36 accepted! This is pretty amazing and they are really thrilled to have such a great response. But, unfortunately that means that only one person is getting off the waitlist as of now. But, things can still change and people can still change their minds and withdraw if they get off the waitlist at their dream schools or whatever :)

Just wanted to pass that on. 

Edited by J Mack

On April 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM, speechiehopeful said:

Hey guys, I will be going to Western as well, just wondering if anyone is planning on working part time during the program? I have heard it is very difficult to work but I have always worked throughout my undergrad and I"m not willing to not work and accumulate massive debt, anyone else in the same situation?

Hey fellow Westerner,

I totally get where you are coming from! I have always thought that grad school would be too hectic to work and after visiting the program this week, I was assured that it is NUTS busy and just juggling the courses and clinical are more than enough. I am sure it is not impossible though! I am not the fastest learner so I know that I won't be able to handle a job, but I am sure some people can make it happen. At least we have July/Aug of the first year to pick up some hours somewhere :) 

17 minutes ago, J Mack said:

Hey everybody,

I toured Elborn College at Western yesterday (OMG beautiful campus) and just wanted to pass on some things that Janet told me that might clarify a few things.

Of the 37 applicants that Western admitted first round, 36 accepted! This is pretty amazing and they are really thrilled to have such a great response. But, unfortunately that means that only one person is getting off the waitlist as of now. But, things can still change and people can still change their minds and withdraw if they get off the waitlist at their dream schools or whatever :)

Thanks for the info! When is the deadline for the tuition deposit? There might still be some shifting before that date. 

20 minutes ago, J Mack said:

Hey everybody,

Okay well now I'm confused. There's been at least ten people on here that said they declined their acceptance to Western? Did they admit more then 37 people first round? 

10 minutes ago, hopetobeSLP said:

Okay well now I'm confused. There's been at least ten people on here that said they declined their acceptance to Western? Did they admit more then 37 people first round? 

Yeah I'm also confused. I declined at Western, and I know of at least 3 other people that I met at the U of T Open House that got into Western but chose U of T. I feel like she may be exaggerating the numbers a little bit... :)

6 minutes ago, mogibear said:

Yeah I'm also confused. I declined at Western, and I know of at least 3 other people that I met at the U of T Open House that got into Western but chose U of T. I feel like she may be exaggerating the numbers a little bit... :)

Well that gives me a little more hope! Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, klfstudent said:

Thanks for the info! When is the deadline for the tuition deposit? There might still be some shifting before that date. 

Hmm, good question. I haven't heard anything about that but ya, you are right! That is the point of more commitment. 

57 minutes ago, hopetobeSLP said:

Oh really?? Hmm, I am confused too then. I was pretty shocked when she told me that. Maybe I misunderstood. But I did rephrase it to see if I understood her...Maybe the 37 acceptances included some people that got off the waitlist from the people mentioned here that declined? I am sure Janet would clarify if she got an email. If anybody finds out, post on here! I would like to know as well.

Yeah I declined an offer of admission to Western as well, so perhaps they send out more than a cohort's worth of acceptances assuming that many will decline? That's a lot of accepted offers in any case! :)

15 hours ago, J Mack said:

Oh really?? Hmm, I am confused too then. I was pretty shocked when she told me that. Maybe I misunderstood. But I did rephrase it to see if I understood her...Maybe the 37 acceptances included some people that got off the waitlist from the people mentioned here that declined? I am sure Janet would clarify if she got an email. If anybody finds out, post on here! I would like to know as well.

13 hours ago, eagerlee said:

Yeah I declined an offer of admission to Western as well, so perhaps they send out more than a cohort's worth of acceptances assuming that many will decline? That's a lot of accepted offers in any case! :)

You could be totally right, I just find it odd that there's been so many people on here saying they declined, and I wouldn't think that they would admit more than a cohort's worth of acceptances in the event more people accepted than there is places, but who knows!

In any case, I emailed Janet on Monday and am still waiting to hear back! If I do hear from her I will let everyone know, if any of you hear back from her please let me know! :)