University of Chicago or Georgetown?

Trisha94

I got my acceptances a few weeks ago and I got through for International Relations at Chicago and Security Studies at Georgetown. Both have their pros and cons and I'm having a tough time deciding.

What's the campus life at both like? Job opportunities?

Million dollar question.

My specific area of interest is conflict transformation and peacebuilding, so I would like to work with an international organisation (UN's the dream).

Million dollar question.

My specific area of interest is conflict transformation and peacebuilding, so I would like to work with an international organisation (UN's the dream).

So my sense is that Georgetown would help more with your career goals, though I don't doubt Chicago could also get you there. What gives me most pause about Chicago is that it's a one year program (can you learn all you need in 9 months?) and much more geared towards folks who want to pursue a phd and not go straight into the work force. The average age at at Chicago is also much younger than at Georgetown (something like 23 at Chicago and 27 at Georgetown), so depending on your age, you might feel more comfortable at one school or another. 

It's a good problem to have though, isn't it? :)

Definitely not looking to do a phd till I'm in my late 20s. Or 30s (basically I'm not keen on a phd at all). Overall Georgetown fits better. And I'll have to get over the age gap in either college ^_^

Thanks! I'm pretty much decided now.

Definitely not looking to do a phd till I'm in my late 20s. Or 30s (basically I'm not keen on a phd at all). Overall Georgetown fits better. And I'll have to get over the age gap in either college ^_^

Thanks! I'm pretty much decided now.

Awesome! I'll see you there this fall ;)