CMU INI-MSIN vs UCSD MS CS vs Columbia MS CS

sahil_mehta

Hey guys,

So I've got admitted into the CMU INI-MSIN, UCSD MS CS, Columbia MS CS, NCSU MS CS and Cornell M.Eng program.

I narrowed it down to the following : -

1. CMU INI-MSIN

2. UCSD MS CS

3. Columbia MS CS

I am less inclined on doing a PhD, more keen to get into the industry. Though my interest lies within Systems, I do want to get an experience of the different branches of Computer Science such as AI/ML.

I am, presently, favoring going to CMU. Though INI isn't as reputed as the MS CS program, because of their connection to the School of Computer Science, I can take 10 out of 12 courses from SCS as part of my curriculum.

I'd like to get a different perspective and would love to have your opinion.

Traditional MS CS or CMU-INI?

-S

I'm actually facing a pretty similar decision. I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia, which is one of my top choices, but I am in at Stanford (MS CS) and CMU INI MSIS. Systems and security are my main interests, and my thinking on INI is similar to yours. Still trying to decide whether the reputation is something I care much about, since like you said most of the classes are in the SCS.

My other concern is for the long term. Security would be a new direction for me, and there's a chance that once I start that career I decide it's not for me. A regular MS CS would be more flexible, I think.

Edited by joelc

I'm actually facing a pretty similar decision. I'm still waiting to hear from Columbia, which is one of my top choices, but I am in at Stanford (MS CS) and CMU INI MSIS. Systems and security are my main interests, and my thinking on INI is similar to yours. Still trying to decide whether the reputation is something I care much about, since like you said most of the classes are in the SCS.

My other concern is for the long term. Security would be a new direction for me, and there's a chance that once I start that career I decide it's not for me. A regular MS CS would be more flexible, I think.

joelc I think you should go for Stanford. Getting admit into Stanford is much more difficult than CMU INI. Also at Stanford you can get tuition waiver if you work as TA/RA. No such opportunities in CMU. Moreover Stanford is at heart of Silicon Valley. You should chuck Columbia. It is simply not in the same league

Thanks for your thoughts, reverie003 and SWC. I don't mean to hijack sahil_mehta's thread, since I was originally interested in the CMU INI, but here's my story:

I went to Stanford undergrad (studied other subjects), and grew up in Silicon Valley. I know what they have to offer. After all that time, I'm just not itching to go back.

I took a few CS classes there, mostly intro ones taught by non-tenured instructors, who were great, and some by actual faculty, who were not. My experience in other departments as an undergrad is that it's actually hard to find good teachers there. They hire researchers who are at the absolute top in their fields in the world, and expect them to be able to talk to students who are just starting out. There's no reason that someone who is good at one of those would necessarily be good at the other. Maybe this is a more of a problem for undergrads.

The other factor working against Stanford is that most of their CS MS students are co-terms, i.e. fifth year undergrads tacking on another degree. It's a good deal, if you can get it. I've been out of school for a while and I'm not sure if those are the peers I'm looking for.

I just got my acceptance from Columbia, so now that's my other option, as with sahil_mehta. I am leaning toward Columbia for non-academic reasons, but I'm not sure yet. As already noted, Stanford is really in the top tier in certain ways, so it's hard to pass up.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations joelc! And thank you for your insight. I have decided to go ahead with CMU INI. Columbia is a great school, no doubt, but after talking with a lot of people I reached the conclusion that CMU outranks Columbia UCSD in most aspects (courses, placements, etc).

I agree with SWC and reverie003 about Stanford being in a completely different league as compared to CMU INI and Columbia. I got a reject from Stanford and I would've picked it anyday over the other two.

Best of luck !