How many students typically in MA Program?

hippityhop123

It varies wildly. Your best bet is to look on department websites, and if no information is there, call the director of grad studies or grad secretary.

If I had to generalize, MA programs tend to accept in higher percentages than PhD programs. That statement doesn't really help you at all. My MA accepts about 30% of applicants, but this changes year to year depending on how many people apply (last year so few applied the acceptance rate went way up).

I think my cohort has around 40 students (a rumor that might be a bit inflated), but I've seen maybe a dozen of the other full time students. It's kind of a mystery....

Edited by Chianti

as ashiepoo said, it really varies with programs but usually the percentage of MA students are higher than the body of Ph.D. student (same goes for the acceptance rate as well). When I entered my MA program back in the Fall 2012 semester, there were about 14-15 incoming freshman (MA) for the age range of 22-50 (I was the youngest in the program lol). As for the entire MA student body (my grad for MA, didn't have Ph.D. program), there were about 40ish students I think, and the people who were Class of 2014 for History MA were about 30 students total. I hope this makes sense to you.

Edited by wacyeah

Depends. The school I went with said they accept about 30 and expect about 10 to attend. The school I declined accepted 8, so I would guess they expect 2-4. Both are UC schools.

There were five of us in total on my MA program in 18c history at Liverpool University. One had won a university wide international scholarship to come over from the usa (i think he'd got a 4.0 gpa) another was on her year abroad from Paris Diderot (in europe, unlike the uk, MA degrees are two years). That left three home students, inc myself. 

Across the whole history department, i think we fitted into a smallish room. 

I think we probably have something like five to ten funded MA students (including those who are in the Ph.D. program straight out of undergrad) and another probably thirty to forty others (a good number of whom are teachers in the area). I could be off on these numbers though.