How much do quant methods play into research?

flyers29

So I'm currently considering getting a PhD down the road (IR/security, area focus on Russia and Europe), but my biggest concern is how quantitative methods are employed and made to be necessary in research. In a nutshell, my undergrad poli sci department was very heavy on quantitative methodology in their research to the point that I found it to be erroneous at times (as in not connecting all these crazy statistical measurements to why they're important). I do believe that quantitative methods have their place and value, it's just not something I would employ unless I find it valuable to what I'm arguing. Not trying to get into a philosophical debate here, but would it be frowned upon if I approached a problem from a more cultural/historical perspective?

I appreciate the input. Like I said, I do realize that this is political SCIENCE and hence quantitative methods do play a role, I just got a bad taste in my mouth from aforementioned department that seemed to rely on it solely. I'm more in favor of a balanced approach between different methodologies. Would appreciate if anyone had anything else to add.

I am in a heavily quant oriented dept. and I am using formal theory and social network analysis as the primary methodology in my research. My topic of interest deals with relatively small n's, so quant doesn't relate as well as if I were doing, say, some with the COW dataset. It is important, however, to be able to "speak" quant, so even if you don't want to use it yourself (at least as your primary research method), you need to have some familiarity with a wide range of quant methods.

I am in a heavily quant oriented dept. and I am using formal theory and social network analysis as the primary methodology in my research. My topic of interest deals with relatively small n's, so quant doesn't relate as well as if I were doing, say, some with the COW dataset.

That line of inquiry doesn't mooooove me either.

Both quantitative and qualitative methods play a substantial role in political science research, though they are often dependent upon your specific interests. I wouldn't read too much into the black and white quant v. qual debates you see popping up in the social sciences. Almost all top programs recognize that neither are a panacea and typically you need some combination (along with a good background in research design) to be successful. In short, as long as you're willing to learn the quant training, and approach it with an open mind, I don't think anyone is going to be upset if you choose to employ other techniques in your work.

-Bruno

• 5 weeks later...