Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Waitlisted for Funding - Negotiating w/ Other Offers


Recommended Posts

Hey Grads,

 

I was blessed with three amazing acceptances this cycle.

 

1. Dream school - but waitlisted for funding.

2. Top 10 School - $30K+

3. Top 10 School - $30K+

 

After talking to current students, it seems like negotiating for funding is very possible and happens regularly, but my situation is a little different because I'm not going from a hard "no" to some funding; I'm technically on the waitlist for it.

 

How can I best formulate/word my negotiation email with my dreams school? My main concern is that it would be pretty easy for them to deflect by saying that I'm already waitlisted for funding.

 

I have everything down except for the key question where I ask them to take me off the waitlist and offer me more funding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am in a similar position. My favorite school has only waitlisted me for funding which makes it kind of difficult to decide. If they -in the end - give me some money - I will know what to do. Otherwise not. What's more: I have to turn down other offers before they will even get back to me. I am not sure what to do and whether it makes sense for me to negotiate (I have 3 other schools with financial aid offers - the amount differs)

 

I have to keep one option open which would mean that I would pay one of the deposits and wait for the results from my top choice. But then again I am not even sure if it is allowed to do that - to pay the deposit and then not attend the school. Has anybody anymore information on that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to keep one option open which would mean that I would pay one of the deposits and wait for the results from my top choice. But then again I am not even sure if it is allowed to do that - to pay the deposit and then not attend the school. Has anybody anymore information on that?

 

You're allowed to, you just lose your deposit. They may not be happy with you, but ultimately your priority needs to be on you. Hedging your bets by doing exactly what you speak of is the wise move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a similar question. 

 

Would it be possible to leverage a fellowship from different institution when negotiating a funding possibility to the school where I receive no funding? 

 

I received some from CMU but I'd like to attend SIPA where there is no funding. 

Is it even possible some people receive funding after the decisions were already made?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.