Recommended for Admission but still no official offer

Shep2789

I already interviewed at my top choice program and the whole weekend emphasized that we were in so long as we weren't crazy. The following week, I was rejected. The program chair called to let me know that the admissions committee hadn't seen my transcript before inviting me. The only other interview I got was at my safety.

At that interview, I tackled my grades headfirst directly to the admissions committee. The day I got back I got an email from the program saying I was recommended for admission, but the official offer would come from the graduate school in a few weeks. That was two weeks ago. I've spent that time getting emotionally prepared to attend a less-than-ideal program, but I still have not received an official offer. Its possible the graduate school said no because of my GPA, despite that bad semester being 5 years ago and everything else about my application is near perfect.

Should I worry? I'm freaking out

Did you try calling the administrative assistant? A lot of the time they can help you by letting you know if official offers have gone out, are being processed, etc.

Additionally, I didn't get a physical official letter - only an unofficial offer came to me via snail mail. I had to check my application status portal to see my official letter of acceptance, so that may be something you want to check as well.

Most of the time the admin is someone that's been sending out the emails about interviews or application status. If there isn't anyone designated for that role, then try looking around on the program's specific website for info about people you can contact.

Since it's so close to the April 15th deadline (that many schools stick to strictly), I would advise calling over emailing.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use