PhD In the Hand or a PostBac in the Bush?

MarkAO

I have been admitted to a Neuroscience PhD program and must decide by the end of today whether to accept or not. I am not sure it is what I want to do, and would ideally be able to take another year doing research and reapply. However, if I wouldn't be able to get any type of research position, I would be better off entering the PhD program to see if I like it. What are the chances of getting a PostBac position within the next few months? I have 3 summers of research experience, 3 years in another lab, and 3.7 GPA. Any input would be helpful!

I have been admitted to a Neuroscience PhD program and must decide by the end of today whether to accept or not. I am not sure it is what I want to do, and would ideally be able to take another year doing research and reapply. However, if I wouldn't be able to get any type of research position, I would be better off entering the PhD program to see if I like it. What are the chances of getting a PostBac position within the next few months? I have 3 summers of research experience, 3 years in another lab, and 3.7 GPA. Any input would be helpful!

Can you defer enrollment to next year?  I wouldn't start a PhD program if you're not 100% committed.