Sociology Ph.D. / Funding and GRE scores

johnnieoz

I am applying to four California schools starting next fall. My field of interest is immigration, so the schools in question are ideally suited. They are USC, UCLA, UCI and UCSD. Does anyone have any thoughts on GRE scores for admissions as well as funding at these specific schools or just in general?

Just took the GRE today and managed a 660 V, but only a 530 Q. Research tells me the latter is not good, but not bad enough to warrant a retake while the verbal is fine. Thanks. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm applying to Soc PhD programs with an 1180. I was told by a lot of profs at my undergrad institution and people I've contacted at the schools where I'm applying (just dept. secretary-type people, not profs) not to retake the GRE, because 1. I'll have to re-study for it (I took it over a year ago) and 2. my score might go down and that would NOT be good. Stay with what you've got.

• 3 months later...

I was freaking out about having a GRE score that's only in the 1100's but my advisor told me the same thing:

"my score might go down and that would NOT be good. Stay with what you've got."

And so far I've been accepted to one school, so wahoo! How is everyone else doing?