Help needed - MA in Dem, QMSS, or Law/PhD program

Paul Allen

Hi, this is my first time posting on this board, but I've been looking it over recently and I'm in need of some advice. I'm posting because I'm considering applying to MA programs in Sociology, Quantitative Methods, or Demography (I don't have any background in sociology classes-wise, no stats or methods classes) because I'm not sure if my profile is strong enough to get admitted to programs that interest me.

My interest is in migration, demography, and social policy/law. I have a BA in Poly Sci. (with a 3.3 overall GPA, don't know if this lowish GPA precludes me from any programs) and worked in an immigration law firm for the past couple of years and I'm currently on a Fulbright scholarship doing sociology research on visa programs in Latin American countries. I was all set to apply to law schools, but the change of scenery from working in the legal field to actually conducting research is making me second guess myself and I'm thinking of switching my focus towards sociology instead.

I wanted to know if it would be worthwhile to apply to Master's programs (specifically either Columbia's Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences program or U. of Houston's sociology master's thesis program) or Master's programs in Demography/Sociology in the country I'm currently in. The Columbia program interests me because it's only one year and it looks like it would boost my lacking quantitative skills. The U. of H. program seems to fit my interests better, but I understand it's just the Master's portion so it doesn't have to be a specialization fit. Also it has a few required courses that I'm not sure I could make up down here prior to applying. The programs in the country I'm in seem equally legit and similar to Houston's program, and would probably be cheaper, but would require more hoops to jump through for admission, but would offer the benefit of ensuring I'm fluent in the language at the end and would also be interesting personally.

I'm also interested in trying to create an ad-hoc JD/PhD program with UT-Austin, since I think their program in immigration law/transnational migrant workers rights and demography seems like a good fit and there are two profs there who seem to have very similar interests. I'm quite sure I'd be competitive for their law program, but again, I'm not sure if my profile is up to their Soc. standards.

Really, I'd just like some guidance on what is feasible and what isn't, since I'm new to this and there aren't as many websites advising people for stuff like this as there are for law schools (probably a good thing). Also, I still have to take the GRE's and I'll have to do that soon, as soon as I get my study materials sent down.

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses!

Most programs rank their applicants like instructors grade tests. GRE scores may count for 30% of the test, GPA, 20%, writing statement 30%, and rest 20%.

Your undergraduate GPA is "okay," and you have social science training (b.a. in political science), but even with the fullbright (which is a MAJOR plus) they will have serious questions as to why you didnt take a stats and methods in undergrad (some programs require applicants to have it). You can apply to an MA program in Demography, but they'll likely have the same questions and/or offer little funding. You could go to a lower ranked and/or non-american school, but moving up the ranks (which it appears you want to do) may prove very very rough.

You might want to look at a top 25 master's in public policy, social policy, public affairs programs, or something social sciency. Since these programs draw students from a variety of fields, they wont expect you to have any methods or stats training and if they do, will be more flexible. While in the program, you'll likely take a graduate level statistics course (do well in it), and if you can, take it in sociology. Try to use an elective to take a methods course in sociology and/or a course taught by someone who has a background in sociology.

After you complete the program (providing you do well which I'm sure you'll do), you'll be VERY attractive and fundable to top tier programs.

That's my two cents....

Hey, thanks for the response, exactly what I was looking for. I will look harder into programs that might make me more attractive. My top school would probably be Princeton's migration/demography program under Douglas Massey. I'm supposed to contact him about my project soon. I wanted to know if you thought Columbia's Quantitative Methods in Social Sciences program would qualify. The only downside I could think of would be that they probably won't give me any funding at all, and they're a pricey school to go to. Is this not a good idea to do, are there programs that are funded?

http://qmss.columbia.edu/

I'm going to do some more research but I appreciate any more input. Thanks.

Glad I can help.

Most people you talk to will ask three questions: 1.) what was your major, 2.) have you taken the GRE, and 3.) what schools are you applying to. If you answer no to number two, then the conversation will be a short one, but if you score well on the GRE, then you'll get a different reaction.

So, in short, prepare for the GRE, pre-test or test high, and then use your connections to open doors.

And, while a top 25 social sciency master's program will help, but beware of the cash-cow master's programs. As a matter of fact, run from them!

Let me know if I can help anymore.

spaulding

P.S. The Quantitative Master's would be a great pick, but the majority of its applicants come from the social sciences (http://qmss.columbia.edu/content/academ ... applicants). So, you may want to call them.

Just updating, I'm also looking into Chicago's MAPSS program, although I agree with some posters that it does look equally costly. Does anyone have any insight on MAPSS for getting into Sociology programs? Also, can anyone shed light on Lehigh's Masters in Soc.? I know it's not nearly as prestigious but it's 10 minutes from my house.

Also, can anyone speak about foreign programs in Demography or Sociology (Colmex or COLEF Demography or UIA Socolog

Waitlisted have the option of enrolling in this program if they dont get admission into Chicago's other programs.

Where do you see yourself looking for jobs? Research One? Teaching? Ivy? Major state school? No school? I ask that because once you decide what type of school you want to land at (if you havent decided), then you can plan how you'll get there. If you want a joint phd in sociology and law, then there are only a handful of universities you can apply to. If you want to go to a teaching university, then you can go almost anywhere. If you want to teach at a Big Ten university, then you need to set your sights higher beginning........now. That's not to knock other schools, but the competition is stiff......

People tend to tier up over time. So the university their doctoral degree is better than where they received their master's, which is better than undergraduate.

I think ideally I would like to end up teaching/conducting research at an Ivy or major state school. I was interested in the MAPSS program but I'm receiving some advice from PhD candidates advising me to avoid Master's programs and just apply next year post-Fulbright. If that were the case, I guess I have to take about 3 soc. classes while I'm down here (Theory, Methods, Statistics) in order to realistically apply with confidence. Any pointers or tips?

Get A's from in the three courses you take and attempt to take them with well known professors, especially those who may be visiting your country.

Score high on the GRE..........VERY VERY high and if there is any way you can increase your undergraduate gpa do it, but GRE is the most important.

Did you contact the faculty member I suggested?