Grad school in a bad economy

90sNickelodeon

Here are the facts:

I have a full-time job, health insurance, and benefits.

The only problem with said job is that it's pretty dead-end, and the pay is OK but could be far better.

I'm thinking of returning to school to get my "career" started. However, in this bad economy, I am wondering if it is such a good idea to leave a steady job for school.

Is anyone else in the same or a similar predicament? :|

I was at a full time job with a state agency I had been with for more than eight years. I was making more than $60K and had awesome health, vision, and dental insurance.

I'm now a lowly doctoral student and graduate assistant making $20K with a health plan that is administered through the campus health center.

I honestly didn't let these factors influence me negatively (too much). I made sure the bills could be paid (downsizing in a number of areas) and that the health plan would cover the basics. Vision and dental were nice, but required. I can work on those as necessary.

I'd say avoid taking out loans unless you are thinking of going to grad school for something you are pretty sure will dramatically increase your earning potential. If you can get a funded offer, or otherwise avoid loans, then I'd say it is a good idea to go.