Online undergraduate degree

Walker888

Hello

I was planning in applying to undergraduate program in history or politics in LSE. I already have a degree in engineering but my true passion was always in humanities fields. I already know it is difficult to get a job in academia but I know two languages and I am wiiling to go to anywhere in the world to work in academia. So my question is will a distance learning undergraduate degree would hurts my chances in get acceptance in a decent graduate program and having a career in academia?

Many thanks for your help

Hello Walker888, 

I would actually try to get into a graduate program in humanities field rather than pursuing another undergrad degree. 

Many masters programs are only for like a year and students from different fields can apply and get accepted. If you are thinking about pursuing a doctoral degree after, I would definitely look into different masters programs first (and maybe apply to the online program as a back-up)

You might have some hard time getting into thesis-based programs since you have a different background. However, there are many programs that accept students from various backgrounds so you would do some research and see which schools that you can apply to. 

As kaykaykay said, you already have an undergrad degree so you do not need to get a field specific undegrad degree. I would recommend you to start engaging in research in your field of interest as soon as possible and seek out thesis-based master's programs. FYI, course-based programs are easier to get accepted to but if your intention is to work in academia or research, then I would encourage you to get into a thesis-based program. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Actually it is good to know I don't have to study a another full undergraduate degree to have a career in academia. By the way My Gpa from my previous degree is low so do you suggest me to take a few courses and/ or take gre test?

I would highly doubt that you could remedy your undergrad GPA with an online course as they are deeply discounted. This said the admission committees are often aware that in science/ engineering people get lower grades ( mind that I am not sure how low your GPA is). You would be often required to take the GRE for a masters admission and definitely for the PhD admission so it is not really a choice and it is a separate measure from your GPA. Of course if you have  a low gpa you would want your gre to be as high as possible especially in math since you have an engineering degree.

Edited by kaykaykay