Non-Projection, Action Based Personality Assessment

Thomas_Lafferty

I'm a new member of the community, so thank you for giving me the opportunity to join. I'm looking forward to what I might learn and contribute here.

Please pardon my stating of the obvious: one of the staples of social psychology is experimentation and observation. As I'm sure you're all aware, there's a plethora of information about the need to prevent those being assessed from changing their answers/behavior because they know they are being observed. Since the personality assessments with which I am familiar are all question and answer based which by necessity means that participants know they are being assessed, I'm curious to know if anyone has heard of a personality assessment based on observation of actions chosen in a controlled environment? Certainly this is one goal of field experimentation and I wonder why this hasn't carried over into instruments designed to let participants take actions and make decisions in a more real-world environment. I've already investigated and ruled out such things as the Rorschach inkblot and other projection type assessments, so I'm looking for something new and fresh - maybe a way of identifying through a series of activities someone's MBTI type instead of having them fill out a bubble sheet - and without participants knowing they are being assessed.

If such an instrument exists, I'd be grateful to know of it. If not, what would be involved in converting an instrument such as the Big-Five Factor Markers from the International Personality Item Pool, developed by Goldberg (1992) or the MBTI or some other well known instrument?

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas