Generous MPP/MPA Grad Schools

igbochik

To all....

I'm still in the research phase of my application process. And the cost of this degree is weighting heavily on my mind. If anyone out there knows of a generous graduate MPP/MPA program, please let me know. I would prefer the program to be in DC. But I'm not married to the city. In fact, I really don't like DC. The networking opp are pushing me towards DC. Also, I know Princeton has a lot of money. But let's be honest, we can't all get into Princeton. I'm looking at a places similar to GWU's status.

Your help is really appreciated.

• 1 month later...

To all....

I'm still in the research phase of my application process. And the cost of this degree is weighting heavily on my mind. If anyone out there knows of a generous graduate MPP/MPA program, please let me know. I would prefer the program to be in DC. But I'm not married to the city. In fact, I really don't like DC. The networking opp are pushing me towards DC. Also, I know Princeton has a lot of money. But let's be honest, we can't all get into Princeton. I'm looking at a places similar to GWU's status.

Your help is really appreciated.

Hey, I am applying to the same programs, and I too am concerned about the cost. (It's not like we're going into public policy to make a ton of money, here.) I'm definitely applying to Princeton, and I know of a person who got a full ride to GWU. Other than that, I know Columbia is stingy (my friend graduated from SIPA with 95k in debt). I have a feeling Stanford is generous to Masters recipients, cuz a friend chose it for her Masters in Journalism in part for the funding. My strategy is apply broadly (I'm applying to 10-11 programs), and once I get that out of the way, apply to scholarships/fellowships. Did you come across any notably generous schools in your search?

• 1 month later...

Since it isn't quite too late, I'd also add Duke to the mix. It's been known to give out fundiliving costs are cheap. When I was living in DC, I heard of a number of (I assume qualified) students at AU and GWU getting funding. SFS gives out funding sometimes to first years, and like many of these schools is more generous to second years. That is something to think about, as I know that Fletcher, for example, is known to give out more aid up front, but without upping it in the second year as places like SFS and SIPA generally do. SIPA might be a good, though more difficult to get into, option if you can apply for a FLAS. Also, UCSD is a decent choice if you interests lie in Asia. Good luck.

Since it isn't quite too late, I'd also add Duke to the mix. It's been known to give out fundiliving costs are cheap. When I was living in DC, I heard of a number of (I assume qualified) students at AU and GWU getting funding. SFS gives out funding sometimes to first years, and like many of these schools is more generous to second years. That is something to think about, as I know that Fletcher, for example, is known to give out more aid up front, but without upping it in the second year as places like SFS and SIPA generally do. SIPA might be a good, though more difficult to get into, option if you can apply for a FLAS. Also, UCSD is a decent choice if you interests lie in Asia. Good luck.

most cornell mpa students get a fellowship 24k-26k