Northern Illinois University Summer 2015

I was wondering the same thing! I accepted my admittance to NIU as well, and was wondering if anyone knew any further information. I did hear that we will be receiving an email with more information once the class is finalized!

I ended up declining my offer but I did go to the open house and took lots of notes. This is what I got: 

- lots of people have part time jobs (no more than 10 hours)

- need 20 open hours for clinic time during the week

- you'll have a co-clinician for your first clients which you get in fall

- to work in an Illinois school you'll need to complete the reqs for the professional educator license otherwise you can't get it later

- this summer they have you observing dysphagia patients in the hospital which is right across the way from the clinic 

- lots of opportunities for part-time clinicals outside the clinic such as a Catholic school

- there's a computer lab, kitchen, lockers, and student space in the clinic. The clinic itself is super nice and new; shared with PT right now and audiology. Huge materials closet and rooms with two-way mirrors

Seems like at least half the students commute and you can park at the clinic which isn't really on the main campus. They try really hard to match your interests and personality to be successful in over 300+ school/nonschool placements. 

I hope that helps! Even though I turned it down I think they have a great program.