Can I Make A Come Back?

scientist410

Hey all,

I just finished my second year of Biological Sciences and moving into my degree major of Cellular, Molecular and Microbiology. However (despite my current best efforts) I was still under my goals for the semester and will finish second year with cumulative 3.14 GPA (projected, depending on how I do regarding two more classes). This isn't nearly good enough to be competitive for Grad Schools in Canada and I've started to get down on my future prospects for Grad School because I'm starting to feel like I've done myself over. However I do still have a couple more years, do you think its possible to turn myself around in time to get into Grad School? My dream schools are McGill or UofT.

PS. In case some ask about the low GPA, my first semester I basically tanked out of not being used to University (GPA 2.9) and after that I started to get better but as of 3 semesters later its just a wad of B's and B+'s.

If it makes you feel better, U of T really only looks at your past two years of undergrad. Cell and Systems Biology doesn't look at your cGPA at all.

So that means that you have time to get yourself on your feet. Any particular reason for the B/B+'s? Is it motivation? Test anxiety? This will be something to reflect on if you want to improve your grades.

I had a 2.9 GPA after my first year and improved dramatically since. Now I'm at a 3.6 cGPA and will be going direct entry to the PhD for Cell and Systems Biology at U of T (Which requires an A- average your final year).

If it makes you feel better, U of T really only looks at your past two years of undergrad. Cell and Systems Biology doesn't look at your cGPA at all.

So that means that you have time to get yourself on your feet. Any particular reason for the B/B+'s? Is it motivation? Test anxiety? This will be something to reflect on if you want to improve your grades.

I had a 2.9 GPA after my first year and improved dramatically since. Now I'm at a 3.6 cGPA and will be going direct entry to the PhD for Cell and Systems Biology at U of T (Which requires an A- average your final year).

I've been trying to pinpoint where I'm going wrong - I mean for classes I generally make notes after lecture, make flash cards and review but I still feel like I'm not doing enough despite all this work I'm putting in and it brings me down. I don't know perhaps its the test anxiety which really stems from not having studied hard enough so it looks like that's where I need to improve.