UPenn Vs. Columbia

Hello,

I'm really torn between these two, thought I'd get your opinion..... I'm a Science student first of all. Just got my BSc.

I'm getting my masters and got accepted into UPenn and Columbia.

Columbia has better reputation, and is more known internationally (I'm an international student) however, the degree is an MA!! Masters of Arts. Its not a professional degree in science..

UPenn is a great school no doubt in that, and their degree is an MSE! Masters of Science in Engineering!

NYC is the place to live when you're a 22 year old girl..

But Philly is more affordable.

I really don't know, please advice.

What are the two programs? It'll depend on your field. Did you get any funding from either place?

Edited by duran0

This is still difficult to answer.  We don't know your career goals.

I'm going to assume that you want to strengthen your science background and/or switch to the applied sciences (engineering) for a career in industry.

If that is the case, I'd go for the MSE.

As you said, UPenn and Columbia are both good.  So, it comes down to the MA vs the MSE.  

I looked into the Columbia program a few years ago.  Beyond the core of 2-3 courses, the program was super-flexible...too flexible, IMO.  One person could have pursued electives entirely in departments like psych, business and international affairs.  Another person could have chosen courses in EE, bioE and chem.  Both would get the same degree.  So, the degree itself doesn't signal much to employers.  Freedom is great, but too much (to the point where there isn't a standard curriculum) can cause more work for the applicant.  He/she has to "explain" his/her degree.

The nanotech program, on the other hand, is in the engineering school.  It attracts people from a smaller cluster of majors.  As a result, the quant background for all of these students is solid.  Employers know (and like) this.  I like the Penn MSEs b/c they also allow students to take non-traditional/business-oriented classes.  IMO, Penn wins b/c it provides more structure, but still gives students a fair amount of academic freedom.

Plus, the science/engineering combo is a good one.  

This is still difficult to answer.  We don't know your career goals.

I'm going to assume that you want to strengthen your science background and/or switch to the applied sciences (engineering) for a career in industry.

If that is the case, I'd go for the MSE.

As you said, UPenn and Columbia are both good.  So, it comes down to the MA vs the MSE.  

I looked into the Columbia program a few years ago.  Beyond the core of 2-3 courses, the program was super-flexible...too flexible, IMO.  One person could have pursued electives entirely in departments like psych, business and international affairs.  Another person could have chosen courses in EE, bioE and chem.  Both would get the same degree.  So, the degree itself doesn't signal much to employers.  Freedom is great, but too much (to the point where there isn't a standard curriculum) can cause more work for the applicant.  He/she has to "explain" his/her degree.

The nanotech program, on the other hand, is in the engineering school.  It attracts people from a smaller cluster of majors.  As a result, the quant background for all of these students is solid.  Employers know (and like) this.  I like the Penn MSEs b/c they also allow students to take non-traditional/business-oriented classes.  IMO, Penn wins b/c it provides more structure, but still gives students a fair amount of academic freedom.

Plus, the science/engineering combo is a good one.  

I can't tell you how much that helped!! Thanks a lot!!!

how is a biotech degree a Master of Arts? that doesnt make sense. 

Yes I know! This is what they say on their website "At Columbia University, all Master’s degrees conferred by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences are MA. (School of Engineering and Applied Science confers MS degrees.) The rigorousness of scientific training is not affected by its name. Our program requires 8 graduate level courses, at least 6 of which in the biological sciences. All students must receive laboratory training and present a thesis."